Installing tailgate band

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84 Shorty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Wanting to install a tailgate band, problem is I don’t have any screw holes to go off of to mount it. What would be the best way to transfer over the mounting holes to the tailgate?

You must be registered for see images attach

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Here's a picture I found on the internet to give you a ballpark. Maybe make a paper template of the raised area of the back side of the trim? IIFC that sits down in the channel of the gate.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Put it wrong side out on the gate. Mark the vertical locations and measure off a body line or the edge of the gate for the horizontal locations.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Or use 3m double sided moulding tape. I filled in all of the holes back when I did bodywork and used the tape instead. Grainger sells a roll of the high strength adhesive tape for $20. If you ever have to remove the trim moulding, you wont have holes to be concerned with. I also filled all of the holes due to water and rust. Late model vehicles all use adhesive.

84 Shorty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Or use 3m double sided moulding tape. I filled in all of the holes back when I did bodywork and used the tape instead. Grainger sells a roll of the high strength adhesive tape for $20. If you ever have to remove the trim moulding, you wont have holes to be concerned with. I also filled all of the holes due to water and rust. Late model vehicles all use adhesive.

Thought about that, just wasn’t sure how well it would hold up. Double sided tape seems like the better option for me, thanks.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Put a loose fitting nail in each bolt hole, with a little ball of dum dum (or similar) on the nail heads. Stick the panel into position on the tailgate and carefully lift it straight up off the tailgate. The holes go where the nails are stuck down.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Thought about that, just wasn’t sure how well it would hold up. Double sided tape seems like the better option for me, thanks.

I was apprehesive about using the 3m tape too.....but DAMN that stuff is sticky ! I have my cab mouldings attached with it and I doubt it will come off without a huge fight. I didnt want to drill any holes and liked the option of taking it off (although it will be a huge pita to do so).

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Keep in mind most manufacturing decisions are based on cost, not making a superior product. That's just what marketing tells you to get you to buy "cost effective" solutions. So just because they're using adhesives now doesn't necessarily mean it's better. It just eliminates multiple installation steps on the production line.

Tuggnice

Reaction score
First Name
Tugg
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I was apprehesive about using the 3m tape too.....but DAMN that stuff is sticky ! I have my cab mouldings attached with it and I doubt it will come off without a huge fight. I didnt want to drill any holes and liked the option of taking it off (although it will be a huge pi
How's your band holding up with the double sided tape? did you use Graingers?

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
What am I missing?
Measure the bolt locations on the trim piece and lay them out on the tailgate.
For best accuracy, mark center on tailgate and trim. Measure the distance each way from that. That will guarantee L to R center.

Vertically I believe they’re centered in that portion of the tailgate.

I could measure my factory 80s style holes for you. But imo would be better served to just measure your trim piece.

Fwiw, seems like trim tape would be difficult. Although it would keep from drilling. Tough part is I don’t believe the center section of the trim piece really contacts the sheetmetal completely. Only at the bolt locations. Would have to do a little noodling on it so your $400 piece of trim doesn’t fall off and get run over by the car behind you!

Fwiw for others, the 70s style and 80s style tailgates are different as are the mounting bolt locations (and 3 vs 4 ea) and reinforcement piece is different.
Although each can be made to fit the other style tailgate with a little trimming of the reinforcement and relocating the mounting bolts on the trim panel (if the tailgate is already drilled).

I’ve been planning to mount a 70s panel to our 80s truck. But I haven’t restored the panel and emblem yet so the $8 GMC sticker is doin the job for now.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I’ve been planning to mount a 70s panel to our 80s truck. But I haven’t restored the panel and emblem yet so the $8 GMC sticker is doin the job for now.
I'm not sure the 70's full size trim will fit the 81 and up gate. I know the 1/2 size one does not due to the shape of the 81+ gate. The slope by the GMC on you gate prevents it.

73-80

81-87

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@Craig 85
Yes you’re correct. 70s full height trim wont fit 80s tailgate without modifications.
The panel is the same size but the reinforcing needs to be trimmed down to clear where you pointed to and new screw holes located on that piece to match the 4 holes in the tailgate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dougli1