Installing new shocks and need some advice.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hello Everyone!

I am in the process of installing a set of new shocks on the k20.
Front: Skyjacker m9551 (2-5" lift, 13.71 collapsed, 22.58 extended)
Rear: Skyjacker m9553 (2-4" lift, 15.94 collapsed, 27.07 extended)

I got one of the fronts mounted up, I think the extended length will be pretty good however, With the truck sitting and nothing in it or any jacks under it I only see 3" of exposed shock shaft. My thinking is that is not enough. Whats some thoughts on this?

Took some measurements of the truck, ride height from eyelet to eyelet is 17.5", from top of spring pack to lowest bump stop point is 4.25" and highest being 7" I did not take a full drop measurement but with the sway bar connected, I do have the ORD quick disconnect kit, and no shock in place i hung the tire and the new shock was still about 3-4 inches under the axle.

This offroad suspension stuff is pretty new to me and its got me feeling kinda dumb right now.

Bottom finger is at the top of the cylinder in the picture.
You must be registered for see images attach

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
The first stupid and obvious question is, is your truck lifted? Second, how much space between the spring and the bump stop?

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I believe it is lifted 2" by the previous owner I have a 2" block in the rear and my front springs look to have been re-arched at some point. Between the spring and lowest point of the bump stop is 4 1/4" and if the bump stop were to get FULLY compressed it is 7"

I think I will be safe. From my thinking the front shocks have 8.87" of total travel (compressed length - extended length) So perfect world I would want to be in the middle of that just shy of 4 1/2" but me sitting at 3" is close granted not idea but close to. Plus I do plan on adding Offroad designs front shackles which is supposed to raise the front by another 1/4"

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
One thing you can do is use some small tie wraps and put it on the shock shaft near the body of the shock (down low). Then drive around. Hit some bumps. Then look at the shock shaft- where did the tie wrap move up to? This will mark how far the shock traveled. This depends on how stiff your springs are and how big the bump you hit was.

Another thing you might think about is your bumpstops are 35 years old. They are not as flexible as they once were. And if you are lifted your bumpstop is now further away. Might checkout different length bumpstops. Ones that are slightly longer would probably be a good idea.

You must be registered for see images

These were ones I used. 4.5" long (I can't remember what length the stock ones are). They also make 3" long ones. They are designed to squish down pretty easily for the first part.

http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/bumpstops.htm

They can be found elsewhere for cheaper.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
One thing you can do is use some small tie wraps and put it on the shock shaft near the body of the shock (down low). Then drive around. Hit some bumps. Then look at the shock shaft- where did the tie wrap move up to? This will mark how far the shock traveled. This depends on how stiff your springs are and how big the bump you hit was.

Another thing you might think about is your bumpstops are 35 years old. They are not as flexible as they once were. And if you are lifted your bumpstop is now further away. Might checkout different length bumpstops. Ones that are slightly longer would probably be a good idea.

You must be registered for see images

These were ones I used. 4.5" long (I can't remember what length the stock ones are). They also make 3" long ones. They are designed to squish down pretty easily for the first part.

http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/bumpstops.htm

They can be found elsewhere for cheaper.

I will have to add the ties. That is a great idea! Driving the truck around things seem pretty smooth and havent felt any bottoming out. But also haven't hit anything too big or got it flexed any since installing them. I'll also order the longer bump stops, that was going to be one of my other questions. I do like the idea of longer ones as mine are currently 2 3/4" by measuring the front shocks will bottom out before the stops are touched. I'll measure it some more tomorrow and get a set ordered.

Thanks all!

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Took me awhile to remember what brand bumpstops they are:

Energy Suspension universal threaded stud bump stops.

Can even get them in red.

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
May be sacrilegious, but just go read a bunch on Pirate 4x4.

That is where I started many many years ago when I was new to off roading.

Nothing you ever do or experience no matter how odd, is anything new.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dougli1