Inquiring minds want to know.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
I have a 1978 Chevy truck. I am desperately searching for a NOS, or used (but clean and straight), original bumper - not a step, i think they call them sport?. Seems that all the squares were always hit from the rear. There are a LOT of front bumpers out there.

So..............my inquisitive mind wants to know................ why can you not use a front bumper for a rear bumper? Is it because of the brace holes do not line up?

Go ahead, laugh, :laughing1: but maybe someone will be kind and can give me the answer.

Thanks in advance.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I would guess mounting holes, but mainly the shape. The front bumper has a curve to it, while the rears are completely straight. It would look pretty bad..

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
Yeah, I have thought about that. But I run into the same problem. Usually the rear is trashed. I have an aftermarket diamond plate step on it now. Years ago my dad had the original replaced because it was bent and for what ever reason put on the step, which I have hated.

If i cannot find a NOS or good used one, I will have to stoop to buying one of the pieces of S**T that is out there. I just need to figure out who makes the best aftermarket one.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Yeah, I have thought about that. But I run into the same problem. Usually the rear is trashed. I have an aftermarket diamond plate step on it now. Years ago my dad had the original replaced because it was bent and for what ever reason put on the step, which I have hated.

If i cannot find a NOS or good used one, I will have to stoop to buying one of the pieces of S**T that is out there. I just need to figure out who makes the best aftermarket one.
I was lucky enough to find one in amazing shape for free on my local buy and sell website, but haven't seen another one as good. Either keep your eyes peeled or take a chance on the aftermarket.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
We were lucky and found one in the Pick N Pull a couple of years ago.
I still have to cut the welded on cluster of crap off the truck that the PO cobbled together.
Then we will put on...

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@My78truck,

Boy are you in luck! When I was rebuilding my truck I to had a square step bumper on the back. Like you I to wanted a round front bumper on the back. I went to my local Chevy dealer where I had a hot rodding friend who had been working behind the parts counter, like, forever! He had helped with me looking up part numbers that GM had changed and such as that, for stuff I wanted for my truck before.
We found what I was looking for and it comes off a ....van! If you look at vans from the same year as your truck you will see that they have a round rear bumper, like the front. Go get you one. The braces will fit right up I'm pretty sure.

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
Thanks everyone. I will definately keep my eyes peeled. Looking daily on Market place and craigslist. Maybe I will get luck. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL