Injector pump problems.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chevy8588

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I just picked up an 85 k5 with the 6.2. Previous owner said he ran it out of fuel and couldnt get it started after. It has fuel pressure at the bleeder, the pump is full of fuel, I hear the solenoid click and it moved no problem when I had the cover off. But it seems no matter how much I crank with the injectors cracked loose, i dont get any fuel down to the injectors. Any suggestions before i try to buy one?

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Take the cover off again and make sure the metering valve is free. There's a rod with the governor spring on it that runs down the center of the pump housing. The metering valve is underneath the back of that rod with an arm that goes cross-ways that is attached to a linkage that runs alongside the governor spring. Move the linkage and see that the metering valve arm moves with it.

Chevy8588

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I will try that when I get home from work, thanks!

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
As a LAST RESORT, try a little ether, I repeat, last resort. Like Trump said, what have you got to loose?

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
If the injection pump isn't delivering fuel ether may start the engine, but it will not stay running without fuel delivery. But, if you're really bent on trying ether you MUST disable the glowplug system.

Chevy8588

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I'm not a fan of blowing my motor up, and as stated, no fuel no run so I'll avoid the ether. This can and will be done without ether. Glow plugs are already on a switch, which'll be switched back to an automatic operation after I get it running.

Chevy8588

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Take the cover off again and make sure the metering valve is free. There's a rod with the governor spring on it that runs down the center of the pump housing. The metering valve is underneath the back of that rod with an arm that goes cross-ways that is attached to a linkage that runs alongside the governor spring. Move the linkage and see that the metering valve arm moves with it.

The metering valve moves freely with it.

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Sigh. Well so much for an easy fix.

Next thing we need to look at is, with the cover off, at the front end of the pump there is an opening where the governor arm goes down into the main housing. Behind the governor arm are the governor weights. Keep a board handy to cover the intake in case you're lucky enough to have it start. You won't be able to shut it off with the key if the cover is off. Look down into that opening while somebody cranks the engine and see if you can see the weight cage turning.

Or,.. connect a piece of clear hose to the fuel inlet of the injection pump and put fuel in it. Then crank the engine and observe if the pump is drawing fuel.

We're trying to determine if the injection pump is actually turning. So either of these checks should tell us if the internals are rotating.

The scribe in this pic is pointing to the weight cage. The blocky looking things should be turning when you crank the engine. BTW, the insides of you IP should be much cleaner than this. Do you see any signs of rust or dirt?

You must be registered for see images attach

Chevy8588

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
No signs of any corrosion that I could see. It's very clean inside, full to the top with clean fuel. I will check for rotation after work tonight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MixManSC