Ingersoll Rand Compressor Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Waylon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Waylon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
I know this is a stretch to ask, but there are some very seasoned folks on this forum.

I have an IR air compressor with a model SS3 pump. The compressor electric motor seems to run fine and will pump up to @130 psi as it should. The problem is, while it is pumping up, the pump itself seems to start slowing down and seizing up and the belt starts slipping and squealing. It will do that for for maybe 15 seconds, sounding like it’s about to explode, and then rev back up to the rpm it should be running at. Then after a little while it will slow back down and start squealing and squeaking again. Tank pressure doesn’t seem to be a determining factor. The flywheel does seem to wobble more than I would expect it to.

I recently changed the oil in the pump after it started having issues.
It seemed to work better at first but it is right back to doing it again.

Could it be bad bearings in the pump? Anyone have any experience with this?

A new pump is nearly $500.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
can you get just the bearings? I saw a kit online for $455 for a complete overhaul including bearings.

Waylon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Waylon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
The whole new pump is about that much on Amazon.

The answer I’m hoping to get from someone who has fixed a similar problem is to buy a couple of bearings for $50 or less and cut new gaskets myself and be out of pocket less than $75!

I’m all for just rebuilding it if all it needs is maybe some crank bearings. I’m sure I could find some quality but inexpensive bearings.

Last edited:

Termite_Delight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
1976 1975
Truck Model
K2500 K2500
Engine Size
350 L33
I had the same problem with mine, I found that fine dust (from sanding wood) gets past the filters. If you can get fresh air to your compressor, you won't have the problem anymore.

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
tighten the drive belts, even if they don't look loose. And it depends on the environment they live in, in my shop in the "Sahara desert" it will do pretty similar to what you describe a couple times a year and I put a little more tension in the belt and it goes away and runs normal. Also check the unloader valve/regulator, they could be sticky and not operating correctly. Things get gummed up and need cleaned out from time to time.

Knight84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
What you describe doesn't sound like a typical bearing failure. That sounds more like a load related issue. I'd check the belts for proper tension and make sure they aren't worn out, and check the air filters to see if they are clogged. Start on the cheap stuff first.

Knight84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
The whole new pump is about that much on Amazon.

The answer I’m hoping to get from someone who has fixed a similar problem is to buy a couple of bearings for $50 or less and cut new gaskets myself and be out of pocket less than $75!

I’m all for just rebuilding it if all it needs is maybe some crank bearings. I’m sure I could find some quality but inexpensive bearings.

Also it doesn't look like it'd be that hard to rebuild, if you wanted to diy. Looks like a ball bearing on one end, probably both sides of the crank, and a journal for the piston rod. Probably need a set of rings for the piston.

You must be registered for see images attach

Waylon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Waylon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Well my belt was definitely loose! I tightened it and ran the compressor through one full cycle and it didn’t act up. So hopefully that’s all it was! If it turns out there’s something wrong with the pump and I decide to try to rebuild it, I’ll post some pictures.

Thanks to all!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84