increasing value of truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jackie

Reaction score
First Name
Jackie
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I have a 81 k20. Would a complete swap of a LS motor, trans, and transfer case increase the value of a truck. About how much increase could we be seeing with the swap?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It all depends on the quality and detail of the swap.

But as a whole, these trucks are rapidly increasing in value. It's one reason I get my hands on as many as I can... bah, who am I kidding. I'm never selling any of them, lol.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Depends on the buyer and the quality of the work done. Most of the people who do the job right end up keeping the truck for a protracted period of time, and if you screw it up, the most sensible thing to do is liquidate. Some people will be tempted by the Gen III swap, and some people will be turned off by it. The split might favor people who like the LS powertrain. Yours is a 3/4 ton so it’ll still be seen as a work truck, and people who want a little hotrod aren’t gonna pay a huge premium, but the street value should increase two or three thousand dollars for the right buyer. That’s just what I think, though.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
^^^ And I’m also in the anti-LS camp. When I see trucks with Gen III swaps, I just keep scrolling. Too much to go wrong, and I’m way too partial to SBC/BBC powerplants.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
When selling, having a good sbc based setup is not much different than a good ls based setup. Only a few specific people might pay extra

Kim Burke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
It comes down to what do you want to drive? Is the swap because of fuel mileage? Original motor need rebuilt? Just like the idea of updated equipment? When you start yanking oe and updating, the “little ****” list will be long and tedious. My personal opinion is the money is about the same (quality rebuild vs LS swap). I know of a red late 70’s K20 long bed, repainted, new interior, everything resealed or rebuilt here in Mesa, beautiful truck, that sold at GoodGuys in Scottsdale this year for $17.5K. That truck was perfect.
I also saw some square C1500’s that made me happy at where I’m at in my truck.
Just some info you might appreciate.

Kim Burke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
Increasing value? Absolutely. Regardless.

Jackie

Reaction score
First Name
Jackie
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Thanks for all the info guys. Truck now has a fresh rebuild 350 with 4 speed manual 4x4. Was planning on a tbi and nv4500 swap. But came across a wreck truck with 6.0 automatic 4x4. Was told for 1000.00. Just weighing options. Truck is and will be my daily.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Also depends on who you are talking abut increasing the value too. To an insurance company if it's totaled, an 82 truck is an 82 truck. Does it run, Yes or No? That's pretty much it unless you've got some kind of appraisal and agreement for what amount it's to be insured for and that still doesn't assure anything.

To a buyer wanting an LS powerplant I'd say it would increase the value.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
It's a bit of a loaded question, they are many variables.

As your daily, a swap will increase it's value to you, because it will drive much more pleasantly.

As an investment, no, you probably won't get whatever your truck is worth, plus the cost of your swap on top of it. But the same is true for an engine rebuild, or trans rebuild, or new tires.

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have a 81 k20. Would a complete swap of a LS motor, trans, and transfer case increase the value of a truck. About how much increase could we be seeing with the swap?

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Just my opinion..... These old Chevrolet trucks are valued ( by guys and girls who grew up with them) for their simplicity and originality. When you install modern motors and interiors, huge rims etc, you diminish what they are. I would pay more for an original truck. Ls motor belongs in a modern truck.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
If you made a profit after a rebuild, you did something wrong.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Just my opinion..... These old Chevrolet trucks are valued ( by guys and girls who grew up with them) for their simplicity and originality. When you install modern motors and interiors, huge rims etc, you diminish what they are. I would pay more for an original truck. Ls motor belongs in a modern truck.
I agree with this, but there is certainly 2 different markets for these trucks. As bucket said, on the LS Swap, it all depends on how well it was done. If it's a good job and made to appear OEMish, then it'll sell just like an original. There's restorations, then there's restomods. Both sell good if done right and good body and interior.

However, if you're doing an LS Swap to make a profit, or even an OEM restoration for that matter, you're barking up the wrong tree. No profit in it. You'd be lucky to break even.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg