In need of a good paint and body shop in Houston area

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevytech87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
Hello all, new member but have been looking up various things on here since I got my 87' about a year and a half ago. The time has come to make the biggest of decisions; who do I trust to fix my awful paint?! I'm a technician, not a painter and although I've considered doing the job myself, I think it might be best to leave this part of the project to a professional. I have a 383 and all the trimmings ready to drop in, but I've been given the impression that getting the paint and body done first is the way to go (feel free to correct me) so I am in search of a good shop or individual in the Houston area who can help me out!

Thanks in advance!

carfanatic63

Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
none yet
Truck Model
Engine Size
Im in Houston too but I dont know who I would tak my truck too since it needs some cab corners done.

It seems in Houston most shops are either cheap and dirty or overpriced but quality. Its hard to find a shop that does quality work at a reasonable price.

What I would do is get your truck driving nice and interior sorted then paint down the road. That way you arent worried about getting scratches in your paint or damaging your paintjob at all and you can just drive and enjoy it. Thats what Ive been doing.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Paint and body is very very time consuming to do right. So your choices are get it done cheap,but it probably won't be real good or last a long time. Save up a bunch of C notes and be prepared to be without your truckbfor a while. Read books,watch videos,ask questions,practice on scrap and do it yourself. Personally I don't think it's that hard,but I had votech to learn, and then body shops I worked at and learned more. So what I think is easy you may not. I still recommend you try.

chevytech87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
That may very well be the best bet. My biggest concern is two spots on the cab that are kinda rusty, but not section the cab rusty. Think I should just clean up those areas and let it ride for now?

mrdap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
C/K_Lover
Truck Year
81-91
Truck Model
C20/K30/V15/V2500
Engine Size
350/454
The answer to these questions really depends on what you want your ultimate end result to be.
It's really impossible in my opinion to get a quality paint job even at a reasonable price.
The quality paint job is going to take a lot of labor hours and expensive materials to do properly.
It's going to be expensive.
If it's not expensive then something is not being done that should be done most likely.
As far as doing it yourself it's possible but if you're expecting the result to be similar to a factory finish you're probably better off having it done by a professional.
Unless you have all the equipment including a spray booth, etc and a lot of time on your hands and patience and skill and you're doing this everyday, it's going to be very difficult to get super high quality results.
If you have a daily driver and you just want to get some consistent color on it without any big gashes bangs or scars then by all means you can probably find someone to spray it at a more reasonable price.
In this case it might be feasible to do some of the labor beforehand yourself by doing the sanding.
I would pay somebody to do any metal work that's required, welding, dolly work, etc.
Unless you possess the welding equipment and skills yourself.
And then you can do some of the sanding work prior to paint.
Preparation is the most important part of the work.
Not to say that the spraying isn't important either but without a good foundation nothing is going to look good or stay on the vehicle.
And once again, depending upon your desire the end result, the proper way to do it is without the engine in the car. This helps to ensure that you don't have paint where it shouldn't be and you do have paint where it needs to be. Of course this involves towing the car back and forth without an engine in it.
And it requires patience to put the engine in without committing a big tragedy.
My two cents worth only.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I ve seen plenty of cars with better than factory finish done in a 2 car garage with basic tools a decent compressor a decent paint gun and a lot of time and patience.First thing they had us do in votech was get an old fender put a dent in it,take the dent out of it. Get an old fender,some books and get a feel for it.Maybe you can,and maybe you cant and maybe you have a talent you didn't know you had.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Use the search function. First time painting(pics) look for one by Fireman605 and 86chevyk20 and millions of cars get painted every year with the engine in it.

Last edited:

texasmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I had to wait three months and it took another four months and a lot of $ to complete the project but the work was impeccable, (can you say "perfect"). Absolutely beautiful!! Kings Paint & Body, 15560 E. Williams Rd., Conroe, TX, 936-760-2989. He is VERY familiar with SB's and sends pictures with weekly invoices. He will NOT do half ass work and will only do it his way, which is the RIGHT way. Check him out and use my name and information if you wish.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I had a long response typed up but @mrdap and @Ricko1966 said the same thing.
And the best suggestion ever is get a couple old fenders or hood what ever and do some practicing if you want to tear into your truck.
The other thing, is if you find a shop with a personable owner they may not take issue with you doing some or most of the prep work yourself. At a minimum you can remove all the parts, trim, windows, bed etc and do all the preliminary sanding or paint stripping. But don’t lay down any of your own primer unless you have an understanding with the shop that will paint it. As any good shop would have issue warranting their paint work if they’re spraying over someone else’s coatings. (Not worth the argument and bad rep if an owners prep work or primer fails after they paint it.)

texasmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hello all, new member but have been looking up various things on here since I got my 87' about a year and a half ago. The time has come to make the biggest of decisions; who do I trust to fix my awful paint?! I'm a technician, not a painter and although I've considered doing the job myself, I think it might be best to leave this part of the project to a professional. I have a 383 and all the trimmings ready to drop in, but I've been given the impression that getting the paint and body done first is the way to go (feel free to correct me) so I am in search of a good shop or individual in the Houston area who can help me out!

Thanks in advance!
Brandon,
Did you see my reply/post in this thread about Kings Paint & Body in Conroe? He has been around a long time and offers a lifetime warranty. Real small shop with only three employees.

chevytech87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
Hey thanks @texasmike I just saw it. Will definitely have to check them out! Don’t get me wrong guys, I’d love to get into the body work side of things one of these days, but right now I just don’t have the time, space, or quite frankly desire to do that part of the job. As far a prep goes, I had been planning on stripping the truck before it went to a shop in order to keep cost down (a little hopefully) and so I’ll have a better understanding of what kind of shape the body is in underneath all of the trim.

texasmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I haven't been by their shop in about a year and a half so I don't know what their work load is like. All I can vouch for is the quality of the work and their honesty. I must have 500 pictures of my truck while the work was being completed. Good luck with your project.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rumpity_z28