ignition switch feeling stiff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dieselade

Reaction score
First Name
adrian
Truck Year
Truck Model
scottsdale k20
Engine Size
what lubricant do i need to help stiff key switch. `87 scottsdale 4wd

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
The ignition rack in the steering column is typically greased if I'm not mistaken. White lithium grease or wheel bearing grease should work.

The steering column will need to come apart to lubricate those components though.

And welcome to the forum!

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
The ignition rack in the steering column is typically greased if I'm not mistaken. White lithium grease or wheel bearing grease should work.

The steering column will need to come apart to lubricate those components though.

And welcome to the forum!
^^^^ This

I'll add you can remove the actual Ign. switch from the lower section on the column to check if that is failing before tearing down the column itself to service the rack and Ign. switch rod.

While the switch is disconnected turn the key back and forth to see if there is very much resistance without the switch attached. If so then your problem is somewhere between the lock cylinder and the Ign. switch rod.

If the key feels smooth and easy take a blade screwdriver and run the Ign. switch through its positions, if that is overly stiff it probably needs to be replaced.
Note: If you remove the Ign. switch it will need to be adjusted correctly when replaced on the column.

You must be registered for see images attach

Here's a picture of the rack (part that says Kipp), the lock cylinder (where the key goes) is on the opposite side directly across from the pinion, and the Ign. switch rod hooks on the end of the rack (out of view in the picture).

Lube:
channel the rack rides in
Pinion teeth
back side of pinion where it touches housing
Ign. switch rod where it rides in it's groove
where rack and Ign. switch rod meet

Rumbledawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 crewcab
Engine Size
before ya rip apart your column, check your key. when they get a little worn, they can become cranky. i replaced the keys for my stepper and my crewy when they started getting hard to rotate and all my probs disappeared, and didn't have to touch the column.
sometimes KISS can save you a lot of work.

Albrigap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Make sure the rod is engaged into the ignition switch further down the column.
If not installed right, they bind up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dougli1