ignition replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wheelerboy12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
ok so my truck completely starts and runs without a key, i was wondering how hard it is to replace the ignition in my steering colum and how much a new ignition costs?

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Lock cylinder is easy to replace and a new one is generally about $25-30.

Tomorrow I will write up how it's done.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Whoops, forgot about this thread. It's been a long time since I have done this to a '70s truck.

The important thing is to remember how it all comes apart so you can put it back together again.

You will need a 13/16 (I think) socket to pull the wheel. You may need a steering wheel puller or if you're adventurous: LEAVE THE NUT ON THE SHAFT BUT JUST LOOSEN IT A FEW TURNS (VERY, VERY IMPORTANT). Then you can grab the wheel on each side and twist back and forth, most of the time it will pop loose. If that nut is not on the shaft, the wheel can fly off and do some major damage!

And a lock plate puller for the lock plate. There's a round clip that keeps it on the steering shaft, a pair of small flat blade screwdrivers can be used to slip the clip off the shaft.

Then you will need a phillips screwdriver to take the screw out of the turn signal lever, the 4 way button, then you can pull the screws from the turn signal switch and carefully pull it out of the way.

Now, later trucks have a screw that holds the cylinder in, early trucks cylinders are held in by a small tab on the side of the cylinder and sometimes you have to poke through some casting flash to push it in with a small flat screwdriver and pull the cylinder out.

Reinstallation is reverse of removal. If I missed something, hopefully someone can chime in on what I missed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128