Ignition problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

irvinc10

Reaction score
First Name
Irvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
350 5.7
Im having an issue with my 1978 c10 igintion. When i first got the truck, the starter had a wire running inside the cab to start it. Since then ive been trying to figure out why the truck wont start with the igintion switch. When i try starting the truck and leave the switch on the on postition the starter will continue to run.I recently replace the blue ignition switch and it continued to do the same so i doubt that is the problem. I looked at the schematics and it say i need a purple wire at the starter but the one connect has a cream colored wire. Im completely lost as to what i can do to figure out the problem.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

dajn37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 scottsdale
Engine Size
It sounds like some clown hot wired it. Just be patient and keep studying the internet and you will get it rewired properly again. Just be patient. The answer wont just present itself in front of you. Slowly but surely you will fix this.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
There should be a purple wire with a yellow tracer, or maybe a solid yellow wire) that should go to the neutral safety switch or clutch pedal. Power leaves the clutch or NSS and goes to the starter. I’m guessing the beige wire your seeing was originally pink and has faded or discolored from age. Pink is switched 12volts, used to power the ignition

irvinc10

Reaction score
First Name
Irvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
350 5.7
Provlem solved. So i did some research and found the image below on the neutral saftey switch, my truck is missing the connector and instead has terminals so the way i had mine setup was different hence why i would get the 12v to the starter on the on position.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcmrose