Ignition cylinder replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevy0079

Reaction score
First Name
mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
383 stroker
I am replacing my ignition cylinder on my 79c10 that has a steering column from a 78 c10. When putting in the new part I’m having problems with the new key not coming out. The new cylinder goes in but what I am seeing is that it is not allowing it to turn all the way to the off position, which I believe is why the key doesn’t come out. The reason I replace it was due to the truck being able to to turn with out the key. If anyone can give me any advice that would be great. Thank y’all!

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
There's a lot of u-tube videos about "GM steering column key replacement issues" that may be easier to follow then written instructions.

MacAgent

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I am replacing my ignition cylinder on my 79c10 that has a steering column from a 78 c10. When putting in the new part I’m having problems with the new key not coming out. The new cylinder goes in but what I am seeing is that it is not allowing it to turn all the way to the off position, which I believe is why the key doesn’t come out. The reason I replace it was due to the truck being able to to turn with out the key. If anyone can give me any advice that would be great. Thank y’all!
Curious to know how you fixed this? I watched the YouTube videos and am not having any success. I’ve replaced the rack and sector too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell