Idle acting up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86suburbanNJ609

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Drove the truck to get some smokes and I noticed the idle is a lot slower and deeper sounding then usual almost like a big cam lol. Throttle response and start-up no problem or change on highway over 50 same thing fine. Its an edelbrock 1406 and mainly stock. I've only cleaned the outside of carb with 2+2. My question would could cause this? It doesn't stall or backfire almost like a lack of fuel?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Maybe your truck’s telling you to quit smoking. Just kidding. Sorta. Since it’s a new thing, I’d do a once over of the vacuum system. Speaking of which, a reading for that would be helpful. Timing and tuning are the first things that come to mind. Do you know what your timing is and roughly what your curb idle speed and idle mixture are set at? Also, your compressor clutch isn’t engaged, right?

rt66paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
paul
Truck Year
1991 suburban
Truck Model
Engine Size
A bad fan clutch can give you a roar, as can a dry cooling system.

86suburbanNJ609

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
No
Maybe your truck’s telling you to quit smoking. Just kidding. Sorta. Since it’s a new thing, I’d do a once over of the vacuum system. Speaking of which, a reading for that would be helpful. Timing and tuning are the first things that come to mind. Do you know what your timing is and roughly what your curb idle speed and idle mixture are set at? Also, your compressor clutch isn’t engaged, right?
No vacuum system hooked up and compresser off. I An going to clean the carb out and and readjust this weekend.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MixManSC