I want a rear sliding window!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Don't like my OEM one piece rear glass. Looking at a new slider. Have heard lots of folks say they didn't like theirs and swapped to the one piece.

However- I have and will always have a shell on my truck.

Looking at "new" sliders, they say they aren't like the OEM pieces from yesteryear.

Powder coated aluminum frames, 4 pane configuration and curved glass. Being thinner they use the factory non-slider window seal. Plus, they have better locks and come tinted.

This all sounds good to me. At $200 I think I likey.

Anyone have a new style aftermarket rear sliding window? Please elaborate.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Go check out the junkyards and local for sale forums. I found a nice aftermarket C.R. Lawrence one similar to this https://www.brotherstrucks.com/1973...-REAR-WINDOW-LARGE/productinfo/SRW87LG/SOLAR/ from a junkyard in near new condition for $30. It uses the factory flat glass weatherstrip which is nice, since the OEM slider glass uses a different size weatherstrip that is no longer available from anywhere that I could find. I then sold my original OEM slider and weatherstrip for $40 locally.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Well, junkyards have dried up here. It's 115 degrees and I'm perfectly ok with a new one showing up at my front door. That one that you linked to at Brothers is the one I'm looking at.

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size
I have been wanting one myself for some time now, I don't have a shell but do run with a headache rack and as I have removed the a/c from the truck would be nice to be able to open up the back window for better air flow in conjunction with the vent windows!!:cheers: Thanks for the link @Bextreme04

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I have factory slider and i love it!! As stated above i love all 3 windows open with the vent windows! I love hearing my flowmasters roar. I keep goin on to my girl about how i wish my s10 had a slider also.

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
Well, junkyards have dried up here. It's 115 degrees and I'm perfectly ok with a new one showing up at my front door. That one that you linked to at Brothers is the one I'm looking at.
The description in the Brothers link says 4 panel design.. the picture is a 3 panel ??

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I put the CR Lawrence tinted 4 panel window into my last truck. I used a standard flat glass weather strip. It installed easily, but it is not very dark as you can see from the pictures. Had I kept the truck, I was going to add tint to it. Latches are better than the OEM style (metal).

The main thing I didn't like is when I washed the truck with a pressure nozzle, water would easily leak past the vertical gaskets/felts located between the fixed panes and the sliders. It's been 4 years since I sold the truck, so I don't remember if it leaked in the rain, but I don't think so.

You must be registered for see images attach

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Nice truck! Like I mentioned, I have a cap and always will. Therefore, I'm not concerned with the details. With the shell, I don't care for tint on the rear, it stays dark. Won't be power washing it.I get that most folks probably don't have a "permanent" cap.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
The description in the Brothers link says 4 panel design.. the picture is a 3 panel ??

It also says Generic Photo.

My truck came with a flat window. You needed sunblock to drive it. In "The Accident" the rear window got blown out so we took advantage of the opportunity and put in a slider with heavy tint. Like 78C10BigTen said, being able to open the slider when driving with the window open really cute down on the turbulence and drumming. I don't have power windows, and even though I can reach the passenger side crank it's awkward so I almost never open it myself. So that rear slider is nice.

I know this doesn't help the OP much, but I thought I'd share the experience of having both. Unfortunately the accident happened when the truck was only about a year old so I don't know what brand of slider they installed.

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
Nice truck! Like I mentioned, I have a cap and always will. Therefore, I'm not concerned with the details. With the shell, I don't care for tint on the rear, it stays dark. Won't be power washing it.I get that most folks probably don't have a "permanent" cap.
Permanent cap you say... What if you took the window out of the cab? Or both the cab and the cap if you don't need to close it off.
They make a few kinds of gaskets for this sort of thing.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I have a factory rear slider on a junk cab, sadly its missing a pane. I have 2 functional sliders, infact, i only have rear sliders on all 3 cabs that have rear windows. but 1 is in my truck, so not going anywhere simply because its not broken and im not putting another in, and the other is my 78 but its a pretty well equiped truck and would like to keep the window.

too bad no seal available?

AKguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Crew Cab Silverado
Engine Size
I just received my new C.R. Lawrence slider after having to cut out my factory slider and finding out seals are no longer available.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I just received my new C.R. Lawrence slider after having to cut out my factory slider and finding out seals are no longer available.
lets see a pic of them side by side? different slide actuation?

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Pic. PIC!

metal tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Truck Year
84 & 85
Truck Model
K10 x2
Engine Size
305 x2
I got a slider from a auto glass shop and it was the single pane slider. I made arrangements to have them do the install after I got it tinted. These days you need the added tint for the sun and those driving behind you with the high beams on

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara