I think it's time for a new carb..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

agers20

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
305-V8
So, I just got my truck back yesterday from the mechanic. He did basically a tune-up for me, as well as replacing the water pump and fuel pump. I have a problem with the carb. It's rusty, idles high until you push the lever down some, and it seems to be running super-rich. So I need to figure out if a rebuild is in order, or to just order a new carb. It didn't help that the last time it ran was 2013. If it's a rebuild, what type of carb is on it? its an 84' 305. Or if a new one is in order, does a 500cm seem right? Also, electric or manual choke?

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Your original carburetor should be a Quadrajet on a spreadbore manifold, but you need to verify. If it is a Quadrajet, take off the air cleaner and clean up the carb enough to get the numbers that are on it.

Rebuilding a Quadrajet is usually a good idea, but it sounds like yours may be in rough shape and need quite a bit of work. A good rebuild will not be cheap. When I considered replacing my Quadrajet I found that the 600 cfm Quickfuel Slayer carburetor like this one seemed to have a good reputation and price point. However, I kept the Quadrajet and retuned it. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qft-sl-600-vs/overview/

If you do have a stock GM spreadbore manifold (for Quadrajet), most newer carbs are squarebore, so you will need a new manifold or a carb adapter. Use one with an electric choke so that you don't have to figure out linkage for a manual choke.

Bruce

agers20

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
305-V8
well, this is what it looks like. the smaller butterfly is open almost all the way unless you push it back. that explains the high idle.

You must be registered for see images attach

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
The butterfly/flap on top toward the front of the carburetor is the choke. With an electric choke it should be open shortly after the engine is started. The two flaps behind it are the secondary air doors, and they are controlled by engine vacuum and tension on the air door spring. The carburetor venturi are down inside next to the intake, but you can see them if you look straight down into the carburetor.

Your Quadrajet looks very similar to the original on my '75 GMC, but yours is in even rougher shape. It is an older model that might not be original to your '84 engine. I made a trip to the pick and pull and managed to find a Quadrajet on an '86 3/4 ton pickup that was one of the last ones with no electric connections. It was in good shape, so I got a rebuild kit from Cliff's Performance and rebuilt and adjusted it for my truck.

Bruce

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
There's a guy in Arkansas called Mountainman Fuel Injection and Carb - he does it all but his specialty is Quadrajets. Guys on the hot rod sites all talk about him - very highly rated.

This is mine before / after he did it. IIRC was about $239. I haven't put this one on as I'm leaning towards a TBI setup instead.

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
I've had really good luck with National Carburetors but I had to call service/tech. They asked every question you could think of before rebuilding the carb such as engine, modifications, tranny, vehicle weight, etc. (Just another option.)

The gentleman I talked to was named Eddie Obie. He even asked if I was wanting better gas mileage or performance. I used to rebuild Q-jets and wanted the internal plugs epoxied, new shaft bushings, etc. Cost was around $150 or so. Carb was absolutely incredible and runs excellent to this day. Just an option.

BTW, National rebuilds most carbs sold in auto parts stores or at least they used to. Not sure how much the cost is now since mine was 20 years ago.

Note: I wouldn't send them the carb unless they understand exactly what you want done. They will send you a box to ship the carb in since boxing incorrectly can damage the carburetor.

Q-jet carbs came in 750 and 800 cfm versions. Search online will show you how to tell which one you have at a glance.

Yours is probably a 4MV 800 cfm unit since all 4 bbl carbs were supposedly 800 cfm after 1972.

Haynes makes a manual for Rochester Quadrajets that will help you rebuild your carb yourself. They are very easy to rebuild as long as the housing isn't worn where the shafts goes through. If it's worn, you will be better off sending it out to be professionally re-bushed, IMO.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
High idle until tapping the go pedal is normal operation. Just wanted to make the OP aware.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Also, let's not throw money at it just yet. From what I got out of the original post, the choke operates normally and the truck "seems" to run rich. What makes it seem to run rich? Are the plugs fouling? Have you calculated mpg and it's terrible? Or does the exhaust smell?

Does it run ok or poorly?

Super-Dave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Buy Doppleganger's for $239 so he can do his TBI, and call it done!

You're welcome!

agers20

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
305-V8
The mechanic is who told me it's running rich. plugs are brand new. I haven't calculated the mpg because it runs like crap. it has a whole lot of problems that have to be fixed to be able to find out the mpg. Doppleganger, are you willing to sell yours, sir? and the high idle doesn't subside when you hit the pedal. It revs up and comes back down to the high idle. I think the small spring that pulls that small butterfly closed is rusty. I can push the flap down some and it goes back to what I consider a normal idle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave