I think I need a new engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
I've learned from experience if it's 180 put, the misfiring 1 or 2 cylinders, can lock an engine up for a split second and completely stop the starter. That's all I can think of. .
Yep, there can be numerous causes for noises like that and difficulty cranking/starting an engine.
And they can be hard to tell what happened and what caused it, and sudden noises are "worrysome" at the least.
But, after he posted a pic of where the rotor pointed when it was supposed to be somewhere else, it's easy to see how he got so screwed up trying to figure out the wires.
I'm glad he got it running again, and hope the engine is in sound running condition for the long haul, with normal maintenance.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Sorry for the blurry photo but which of those points should the line be at? I just want to make sure I have it set up properly
The biggest valley is 0°. but the mark isn't far enough off to keep it from starting if the distributor is close enough.
It’s pointing directly at #2 cylinder. Should I put the cap back on and start with #1 plug wire there and work my way around?
It shouldn't really be pointed at #2, although if the wires are in the appropriate places, I can work. I personally put it at about 5 o'clock. I'd take the distributor out, use a screwdriver to turn the oil pump back a little, put it back in, and mess with it until it settles.
And them I'd mark the base of the dizzy housing where your #1 plug post's pin would be, turn it until the mark you made the tip of the rotor are lined up. Put the cap on, put the number 1 plug wire on that post and work your way around clockwise, 18436572.
Technically it doesn't really matter where the rotor and cap are faced, as long as it points at the #1 pin when it's at tdc or thereabouts. Having it faced at about 5 o'clock just makes it easier to plug it in and follow the wires around. Plus 1 pointing at 1 sorta makes sense to most people.

I'd also personally get a new cap and rotor, those dont look great.

And yeah, always work longest to shortest, makes life way easier its something like 2 1 3 4 6 5 7 8 by lenght.

Dodg3m4n

Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Sounds to me like I’m picking up a timing light when I get paid again. Do I really need one of the $100 ones or would the $30 one I found be okay to use? It definitely needs new parts but they get a little expensive. Also I’ve found conflicting information about what type distributor I have so I’m not sure if that’s the point style or HEI. I usually have my father in law to help work on this thing with me but he’s out of state for another month or so but I know he has a timing light somewhere but I’m not digging thru his stuff just to find some rigged master piece of scary timing light that anybody but him would need a PhD to make work. Sorry for that little rant but we all know someone with tools like that.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Sounds to me like I’m picking up a timing light when I get paid again. Do I really need one of the $100 ones or would the $30 one I found be okay to use? It definitely needs new parts but they get a little expensive. Also I’ve found conflicting information about what type distributor I have so I’m not sure if that’s the point style or HEI. I usually have my father in law to help work on this thing with me but he’s out of state for another month or so but I know he has a timing light somewhere but I’m not digging thru his stuff just to find some rigged master piece of scary timing light that anybody but him would need a PhD to make work. Sorry for that little rant but we all know someone with tools like that.
You have HEI.
And the cheap light will be fine. I use a cheast Harbor freight POS, works fine.

I rarely use it though, for the most part I do it by sound and snappiness of throttle.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
You have HEI.
And the cheap light will be fine. I use a cheast Harbor freight POS, works fine.

I rarely use it though, for the most part I do it by sound and snappiness of throttle.
As Ayden said ......... I tune my engines by ear, they actually have a sound to them when they are "happy"
It takes time to learn that sound, but meanwhile go with using equipment to do the job.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
As Ayden said ......... I tune my engines by ear, they actually have a sound to them when they are "happy"
It takes time to learn that sound, but meanwhile go with using equipment to do the job.
Yup, you know when they're happy.

I put the distributor in my buddies 305 on the stand the other day. Got the timing perfect first shot. Fired up and idled happily. After it warmed up, I tinkered with it back and forth until it was perfectly happy. Never touched the light.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
Yup, you know when they're happy.

I put the distributor in my buddies 305 on the stand the other day. Got the timing perfect first shot. Fired up and idled happily. After it warmed up, I tinkered with it back and forth until it was perfectly happy. Never touched the light.
I have a bad (?) habit of setting up engines when I build them, install in a truck, and they fire instantly and run perfect when the key is touched.
I will do a final fine adjustment after things warm up, but it's almost dead nuts on at the go.
Amazing what too many years of doing it can cause.
I miss being younger and in better shape to be able to do a lot of things.

Dodg3m4n

Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I got almost all the loose ends tied up and test drove it just a bit ago and it seems to be much happier now. I wasn’t able to get a timing light so I haven’t messed with the distributor timing yet either. Now my issue is where to route the starter wires so they don’t met or burn.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I had a friend that used to advance the timing on his 6 cylinder so far that the engine could barely be cranked over, but it did give him more power. To the detriment of his engine though.He used to do some rather dumb things.lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400