I need to add a fuel door....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
Looking for an aftermarket patch panel for adding a square factory fuel door in a bedside. I've seen one listed somewhere before but now that i need one, I can't find it anywhere.
Has anyone out there come across one before?

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
I have only seen the fuel door in the bedside panel but never a repair patch with only the fuel door. Maybe best to check out some scrapyards or ebay.
The fuel door is easy to find at autometal direct, Lmc has the right filler necks and housings which are also needed. Best would be to find a donor truck.

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
Best would be to find a donor truck.

After searching all the vendors that I know of I came up empty, Maybe I just dreamed I saw it listed. you at probably right on finding a donor

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have only seen the fuel door in the bedside panel but never a repair patch with only the fuel door. Maybe best to check out some scrapyards or ebay.
The fuel door is easy to find at autometal direct, Lmc has the right filler necks and housings which are also needed. Best would be to find a donor truck.
Are they actually left and right specific? I noticed they didn’t have a LH one. I need to add the driver side tank to mine.
figured I’d have to go scout the wrecking yard.

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
Are they actually left and right specific? I noticed they didn’t have a LH one. I need to add the driver side tank to mine.
figured I’d have to go scout the wrecking yard.

Did you find a RH one?
Now that you mention it they would be left or right, because of the finger indent to open it.

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
Did you find a RH one?
Now that you mention it they would be left or right, because of the finger indent to open it.

The filler doors are universal and the bedsides are LH and RH. I think wrecking yard or ebay is the best solution, buying a whole bedside only to cut out the filler door would be like burning 500$

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You can hack one off at pull a part. Probably just a few dollars.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Go to the j/y and find a good one in a crap bedside. Preferably for the side that you need. Then weld it in.

You must be registered for see images attach

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Looking for an aftermarket patch panel for adding a square factory fuel door in a bedside. I've seen one listed somewhere before but now that i need one, I can't find it anywhere.
Has anyone out there come across one before?

If you are needing fuel doors, my bedside(which I would happily cut out the doors) has doors but the rest of the bed is shot. But its two on one side. The passenger side. I could check my trailer in the morning to see if the driver side is still on it(original bed to my truck, somehow its better condition now) and would chop that for you, granted its good. Would be brown as this was a brown and white two tone. Lmk if you are interested. If anything, could give you half of what you need. The only other option I have is factory not-door where it was just a cap, but off a 1978 camper special.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I actually have a photo of my trailer. There is a driver side door, looks to be okay. I cant confirm the passenger door till morning, but the passenger door on my truck is definitely workable.

You must be registered for see images attach

Cemack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
I bought two new box sides without fuel holes(my truck is a 78). The truck is dual tank so I needed to do 2 holes. I cut two out at a wrecker and glued them in with 3M panel bond adhesive. I used a flanging tool to make a recess in the box side, then glued the new few holes in the recess. I didn't weld them because it would distort the box side too much.

So yeah, cut one out from a scrap yard and glue, or weld it in

Cemack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
I bought two new box sides without fuel holes(my truck is a 78). The truck is dual tank so I needed to do 2 holes. I cut two out at a wrecker and glued them in with 3M panel bond adhesive. I used a flanging tool to make a recess in the box side, then glued the new few holes in the recess. I didn't weld them because it would distort the box side too much.

So yeah, cut one out from a scrap yard and glue, or weld it in
I got a really good deal on the bedsides if you were wondering why I would buy without holes. One side I couldn't find with a hole any way. Can't remember which side it was

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito