I need a complete tune up - kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jwernatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
5.7ltr
Hey all, I've got an 87 with the 350. Its been sitting for years, i want to chage all fluids, belts, plugs, wires everything completely-

Ive been driving it a little just figuring out where to start.

It seems to have a mis too.

i opened my power steering the other night, the fluid is burned, antifreeze old, trans fluid was ok, but the converter isnt unlocking 100% -

But, again, basically i want to go thru front to back and replace all fluids, belts wires etc...

Is there any kit available for a complete over haul/tune up for my 87 v-10?

(I did service tcase the other night)

Or how about a list - like a checkoff procedure? I dont want to have to do do something twice.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks all.

jjester6000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
Just go to the autoparts store and just pick up all the stuff you need.

Is is TBI or carbureted? After sitting I'd expect you to have some carb problems, but if it's TBI, I'd just put a can of seafoam in the tank and be done with it.

Also, if it is TBI, after sitting the old gas in the tank probably has taken its toll on the electric fuel pump, and it would'd be a bad idea to replace it.

If its carbureted, I'd just rebuild the carb real quick.

How many miles are on it? Is the trans original? I'd change the fluid to be safe if it looks good. It probably just has some varnish in the valve body stopping it from locking up.

Another thing I'd do is runs some Lucas Stop Slip after changing the fluid. It's great stuff, and it will only prolong the life of an already decent transmission.

Lastly, I'd also replace the plugs/wires and maybe the cap/rotor if they look bad.

Jwernatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
5.7ltr
Thank you. Its TBI. Its got two tanks. Ive replaced the drivers side. Yet to do the passenger. Atleast im going to drop it and clean. Its verys varnished.

Got any advive on the best way to service power steering pump? The fluid is way past its prime.

And what about flushing radiator and that system?

Jwernatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
5.7ltr
Oh and its right at 160k miles.

nabeshin

functioning lunatic
Reaction score
First Name
Grae
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Replace any vacuum lines as well. Those are probably pretty old, cracked, split, etc.

GXPWeasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
1982 | 2015
Truck Model
Sierra C15 | Silverado Z71
Engine Size
5.0 | 5.3
Don't think you've got an answer yet on the power steering, but what I would do is drain and refill with good fluid. Drive it for a day or 3, and do the same. If you do this 2-3 times, you should end up with a complete flush of good new fluid. Use a turkey baster or some kind of small transfer pump to get the old fluid out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike