1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a complete tune up - kit?

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by Jwernatl, Oct 17, 2020 at 1:38 PM.

1. Jwernatl

Jwernatl Junior Member

First Name:
    John
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    V10
    Engine Size:
    5.7ltr
    Hey all, I've got an 87 with the 350. Its been sitting for years, i want to chage all fluids, belts, plugs, wires everything completely-

Ive been driving it a little just figuring out where to start.

It seems to have a mis too.

i opened my power steering the other night, the fluid is burned, antifreeze old, trans fluid was ok, but the converter isnt unlocking 100% -

But, again, basically i want to go thru front to back and replace all fluids, belts wires etc...

Is there any kit available for a complete over haul/tune up for my 87 v-10?

(I did service tcase the other night)

Or how about a list - like a checkoff procedure? I dont want to have to do do something twice.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks all.

2. jjester6000

jjester6000 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Jack
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C1500
    Engine Size:
    Just go to the autoparts store and just pick up all the stuff you need.

Is is TBI or carbureted? After sitting I'd expect you to have some carb problems, but if it's TBI, I'd just put a can of seafoam in the tank and be done with it.

Also, if it is TBI, after sitting the old gas in the tank probably has taken its toll on the electric fuel pump, and it would'd be a bad idea to replace it.

If its carbureted, I'd just rebuild the carb real quick.

How many miles are on it? Is the trans original? I'd change the fluid to be safe if it looks good. It probably just has some varnish in the valve body stopping it from locking up.

Another thing I'd do is runs some Lucas Stop Slip after changing the fluid. It's great stuff, and it will only prolong the life of an already decent transmission.

Lastly, I'd also replace the plugs/wires and maybe the cap/rotor if they look bad.

3. Jwernatl

Jwernatl Junior Member

First Name:
    John
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    V10
    Engine Size:
    5.7ltr
    Thank you. Its TBI. Its got two tanks. Ive replaced the drivers side. Yet to do the passenger. Atleast im going to drop it and clean. Its verys varnished.

Got any advive on the best way to service power steering pump? The fluid is way past its prime.

And what about flushing radiator and that system?

4. Jwernatl

Jwernatl Junior Member

First Name:
    John
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    V10
    Engine Size:
    5.7ltr
    Oh and its right at 160k miles.