I could choke a GM engineer!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
The quick disconnect heater hose connection on a LUE 4.3L Vortec mine was leaking and i went to replace it and the bastard broke off flush with the intake! It took me a hour of using a pin punch and a hammer to get it out not sure why in the hell they would use pot metal like material.

But it is fixed and it better not start leaking or i will modify it to where it will never leak again!

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Practically the same reason why machinists bitch about engineers.....

Creating nearly impossible drawings , stupid theoretical points, sharp corners (doesn't exist), and everything else that aggravates me.
Or like the the young junior engineers, setting tolerances +.0001/-.0001 on something 6" long, and the tight tolerance isn't even needed
Makes me wanna hand it to one and say, now you go make this!

Funny story, dad told me of a guy that got a faulty drawing from an engineer, it was a turned detail, but the OD was smaller than the ID, so rather than complain, he got a plastic bag, turned the OD off, collected the chips in a bag, and then handed the part, and the bag of chips to the engineer. LOL.
I love it.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I just had to deal with this gutting the circa late-80s rubber out of a GM cooling system. The car’s 31 years old so I would imagine that’s right around when they started that stupid ****. The connector had orange crust around it, and I knew that it was a part time leaker. It broke instantly. I got Lisle 62200, coupler extraction tool. I soaked it for three days with PB, tapped it in, and backed the broken part out. I flushed the metal chunks out, cleaned up the threads, and replaced the stupid coupler with Dorman 56356, 5/8”x1/2 NPT barb fitting. Oh, I also used teflon tape on the new fitting just in case, but the threads in the actual intake looked good. So much better than what GM dreamed up.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
Practically the same reason why machinists bitch about engineers.....

Creating nearly impossible drawings , stupid theoretical points, sharp corners (doesn't exist), and everything else that aggravates me.
Or like the the young junior engineers, setting tolerances +.0001/-.0001 on something 6" long, and the tight tolerance isn't even needed
Makes me wanna hand it to one and say, now you go make this!

Funny story, dad told me of a guy that got a faulty drawing from an engineer, it was a turned detail, but the OD was smaller than the ID, so rather than complain, he got a plastic bag, turned the OD off, collected the chips in a bag, and then handed the part, and the bag of chips to the engineer. LOL.
I love it.

With the work we do for that big company that starts with a B and ends with oeing, I have ran across quite a few prints that have errors like that and our procedure is to either make it to the print (even being wrong) or complain until they update with correct dims.
Fun things like a 1/4-20 tapped hole and the purchase screws are 1/4-28, or the detail view for a part shows the slot to be on this side, then the assembly iso shows the slot on the other side..

or +-30 seconds on an angle for a glorified feeler gauge..

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Engineers should not have to mechanic at the dealerships, the mechanics in the non dealership shops should be the engineers.
Them people that have to work in a everyday garage/shop situation and sometimes out on the road to repair equipment.
Get some real goo mechanical experience in the engineer departments.
I have a tiny hacksaw that I have used to cut them heater adapter fitting with, after that, at least every two years replace them, or, use an appropriate size hose adapter fitting.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Work on a Volvo or BMW. You'll never complain about GM again.

Truer words have not been spoken.

Its common to those who work on Volvos to say that they had no engineers....only designers (guys in comfortable shoes who draw pictures).

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
I almost made a video of me complaining about GM engineers. It was right about the time I realized how many frikken metric bolts were used in random ass places. Its always the lone bolt in the weird place it seems. I couldnt make the video cause I couldnt stop cursing. Just make up your frikken mind.......SAE please.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
With the work we do for that big company that starts with a B and ends with oeing, I have ran across quite a few prints that have errors like that and our procedure is to either make it to the print (even being wrong) or complain until they update with correct dims.
Fun things like a 1/4-20 tapped hole and the purchase screws are 1/4-28, or the detail view for a part shows the slot to be on this side, then the assembly iso shows the slot on the other side..

or +-30 seconds on an angle for a glorified feeler gauge..
I got rather ****** at the former facility I worked at because I had earned my keep and was a higher up on the shop floor with much respect, so when I butted heads with quality control on stupid impossibilitys the engineer drew, I'd re write the "offending" segment of the program and make it EXACTLY like quality demanded, then hand it to them.

Those people eventually got to the place where they'd be all touchy around me and wouldn't give me straight answers.
Losers.

Dumb **** like demand a sharp corner, then bitch about burrs....

That was ALWAYS the **** show at that place...

Sharp corners don't exist.
Where 2 surfaces intersect, a burr exists.
Laid over, standing up, whatever, a sharp corners don't exist.

It's either a radius or a burr.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
They call for sharp corners here for welding 2 parts together. I used to hit with a bit of sandpaper. Then qc bitched so I didn't touch them. Qc then bitched that they got cut. So i said you wanted it sharp. The engineers decided they didn't have to be real sharp and polish them is fine. Stupid!!

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Haha, setting up one now with a sharp edge.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128