Hydroboost crazy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K10blueChevy

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yeah, I went a little Hydroboost Crazy.
I know have a Hydroboost system from a CUCV, 94 GMC Safari Astro van, and a 2005 Chevy Tahoe.

Other than the size of the accumulator, and the length and size of the brake pedal push rod what is the difference in these systems?

I currently have the CUCV Hydroboost installed on the 83k10 running the factory power steering pump. It seems to be running fine, yes I swapped the pedal also. I need to add an power steering cooler to the system. Any recommendations?

I have plans to swap the accessories on this engine to a vortec setup to get rid of the 3 v belts.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I don't know anything about hydroboost except people like the setup. Personally I like the v-belts over serpentine.

Nonstop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
I added a cooler from a later model truck in front of the radiator. I just recently added a filter set up to mine. It is a remote spin on filter. I feel this probably did as much, or more than a cooler. It added probably over a quart in volume along with lines going to and from the filter, along with the surface area of the filter to dissipate the heat.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I’d like to see a picture of that. The companies that reman the steering sectors recommend an inline filter, but I don’t think honoring a warranty is contingent on its presence.

Oh yeah, and I think I’m in the v-belt camp as well, but I’m not opposed to serpentine. That’s assuming someone didn’t go in there, screw around, and use ill-fitting bolts. The thought of having redundancies, primarily at the water pump, is nice, and I’m so used to multiple belts that it feels foreign to replace a serp belt or an accessory in those systems.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I have plans to swap the accessories on this engine to a vortec setup to get rid of the 3 v belts.

@Frankenchevy might be able to help on the serpentine set up. His truck has one. Just remember to carry a spare belt. I keep one in my Denali just in case.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Mines serpentine. All square body era hydroboost setup except the power steering pump. That’s for a 1998 c3500 with a 350. It’s dual return and looks much like the original pump, but is clocked slightly differently.

K10blueChevy

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks Frankenchevy, I'll be on the lookout for a c3500 now to swipe the pump off of.
I have all of the accessories from a later model truck to do the serpentine swap. I just need to drill a mounting hole in the passenger head.
I'm swapping it because of the hack job of a vintage air install that someone else did. That and the alternator bracket is busted. I'm just tired of hearing them squeal all the time.

As for the power steering cooler. All the OEM ones I find on 2000ish trucks seem to be really rusty.

So back to the original question. Is all the hydroboost the same internally?

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
so easy whit serpentine belt just keep one and a 15mm rench in your truck and you can fix it in 10 minutes on the spot! :D

don't know if they are the same intenally...but from the out side newer HB unit got a input master hole bigger than the old one! ;)

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
So back to the original question. Is all the hydroboost the same internally?

Yes. Generally. For rebuild kits you'll have to use the number stamped on the unit.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Watch out for the boost pumps with the variable orifice valve on them, about 1995 and newer, You can tell them apart, they will have two wires sticking out of the fitting on the back of the pump. A regular fitting from an older unit can be installed to eliminate that troublesome POS.
I am going to get to the auto salvage one of these days to get a regular fitting and the hose to fix the PS on My 2000 K3500.
Oh yeah, if I ever pick up on a serp setup for My 78 K20, that's what it will be getting. As suggested, pack a spare belt, although, I have never broke a serpentine belt on a Chevrolet product.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Oh yeah, welcome to the GMSB forum K10BC

Latest posts

Forum statistics