Hvac blend door question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jayzon

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Jimmy
Engine Size
Forgive me if this is posted elsewhere, if so I was unable to find it. Through countless YouTube videos and forums I still can’t find an answer. Is the hvac blend door supposed to close completely (flush) with the case when switching to defrost? And/or open fully when on max? It operates normal yet lacks about 1/2” from closing completely, letting air through different vents. This may be normal, I have no idea. If not I’m at a loss as to what to check next. Oh, it’s an 84 GMC Jimmy Thanks!!! Edit...I didn’t see the HVAC category at first, so I posted here. New guy lol

Last edited:

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
when it is in defrost, minimal air comes out the heat vents. when it is heat mode. minimal air comes out the defrost vents. that is normal operation

jayzon

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Jimmy
Engine Size
Thanks, had everything apart replacing the heater core and was testing the operations of all the doors before finishing up, that’s when I noticed it. Checked everything I knew to check, just odd it would be such a gap like that. I understand minimal air coming through, but would a 1/2” gap from closing completely be considered minimal? No broken clips, no obstructions etc.

Last edited:

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
tagging on this thread.
so as I am reassembling the heater box and controls, the controls wont go all the way to the off position. which cable is out of adjustment? it is conected to 2 cables....

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Hopefully you got this fixed. When I had my box out I repaired the factory floor/Defrost flapper. Photo #1 From the factory there is a foam seal that deteriorates over time. I bought some Scotch felt furniture pads and cut them to fit. I reused the staples the arrow points to. It created a perfect seal. Overall length was about 2".

You must be registered for see images attach

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
thanks awesome idea

neiltee

Reaction score
First Name
Neil
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
LS6
Hopefully you got this fixed. When I had my box out I repaired the factory floor/Defrost flapper. Photo #1 From the factory there is a foam seal that deteriorates over time. I bought some Scotch felt furniture pads and cut them to fit. I reused the staples the arrow points to. It created a perfect seal. Overall length was about 2".

I too am repairing the HVAC air diverting 'stuff' but the heater/defroster flap in my system does not return to the fully up position. Is there supposed to be a return spring? I did just replace the actuator with a new one from OLD AIR PRODUCTS.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I too am repairing the HVAC air diverting 'stuff' but the heater/defroster flap in my system does not return to the fully up position. Is there supposed to be a return spring? I did just replace the actuator with a new one from OLD AIR PRODUCTS.
It's been a few years since I had all that stuff disassembled. The pod that points toward the gas pedal should be the one that controls the floor/defrost flap. It's the one at the bottom of the yellow box.

The pod in the red box pushes and pulls on the blend door (second red box). That plastic piece on the door tends to break. A lot of people replace it with a billet one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linemanjl