Hub removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rwljpl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I’m trading out my old manual locking hubs for some new Warn hubs. Passenger side came out easy. Got the new one in. But the driver side seems to be stuck. I got the retaining ring and lock ring off. But it still won’t come out. It seems like inner most spline is stuck. I hit it with some liquid wrench. Still can’t get it. Anything else I can try?

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
The hub may be stuck in the lock position. Is that wheel still on the ground? If so, try jacking that wheel up and rotate it back and forth while pulling on the hub.

rwljpl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yes, wheel is jacked up. Spins freely in both directions. The hub still won’t come out. Other suggestions?

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
my driver side was stuck when I was trying to get it apart for a ball joint replacement. Pics would help for people to understand exactly what part you are talking about. For me, I was able to get the cap and both rings off, but the ring with the 6 threaded holes that the cap screws too wouldn't come out of the hub. I ended up threading the bolts back in to get some leverage and just working it out with some force. Didn't damage anything and it went back together fine afterwards.

rwljpl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Finally got the old hub off. The problem was the axle hub (? - I’m not sure the part name) that the locking hub needed to slide out of was slightly out of round. I did some grinding and got it out.

But now I have another problem. I put in the new Warn hubs. On the passenger side it works great and turns easily from lock to free and back. But on the driver side - the one that was so hard to remove - it is very difficult to turn it. Could it be that it needs more grease? Or something else?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If you wiggle the axle shaft while turning the knob, is it much easier to turn?

86suburbanNJ609

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I had same issue with warn premium hubs took everything out and re did procedure apparently I didn't get the assembly to sit all the way in...

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Never put grease in the locking hubs (the locker assembly). They should essentially run dry. I put just a light coat of silicone spray on some old hubs on the threads when I re did wheel bearings Recently. But dry or graphite is the best.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
HUH, been doin it wrong for 50 years. Seemed to work.

rwljpl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Finally got everything working right. I took the hub that would not turn off the truck, and I noticed there was a whole lot of grease in there. Based on what I’ve read on this form, I cleaned all that old grease out. Put the hub back in and now it works perfectly. I guess that was the issue. Thanks For the help - I’m going through this truck bit by bit and keep coming across stuff that needs to be done. Usually it’s pretty simple stuff - but the advice on this board really helps.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I personally had the issue last year where my too-many deadblows on the snout of the hub actually bent it, causing the internal hub locker parts not able to rotate properly and move in and out. But Im confused on what had this old grease. Are you meaning.. the turn knob.. or..? Just you packed too much grease in the hub?

rwljpl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I never put any grease in it. I’ve only had the truck a couple years. Had to be a previous owner. Maybe it didn’t matter much with the previous hubs - I don’t know what brand they were. But when I took the Warn hub out to see what might be the problem and what was keeping it from turning, I noticed a lot of old grease in there - and there had not been grease on the other side. Cleaned that grease out, reinstalled the hub, and it works great now.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
But doesnt your snout on the hub need grease for the rotating parts and the bearings? Or am I misunderstanding?

rwljpl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I don’t know. Good question. The grease I got out was behind where the Warn hub would slide in. I’m sure there’s a little grease still there but there was a lot before I cleaned it out - I figured it might so packed in, the hub wouldn’t work. But I’m learning as I go.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
okay, I think what you are describing was overgreased and you removed some grease but there is still grease in there to lubricate your hub. There is 2 bearings and then your locker assembly, I think. The bearings need grease and there is a seal on the back of your hub to hold grease in and keep dirt out, and then the front of your locker should have an o ring around where it turns to keep grease in and dirt out on that end.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shock loaded