How worried should I be about heat on the oil filter ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
I recently had a shop fabricate a dual exhaust on my c-20, everything seemed fine, until now.
Had a short oil filter on the engine when he did the system.
I changed the oil and filter yesterday, and the long filter is about an inch away from the headpipe that drops down from the manifold.
Should i give up on having the great filtration and go back to the short ones?

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
You could do a fiberglass wrap on the exhaust? The Jeep rock crawler with the Chevy V8 corvette engine I have been working on is a bit tight in the engine compartment, to keep the exhaust from over heating everything around it, we wrapped it the braided fiberglass exhaust wrap they sell at Summit racing. It works..

Last edited:

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Without a temp sensor there's no telling. Unless you sit in traffic for long periods I would think that air movement would keep you in the clear.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
You will be fine. The oil filter on my Olds is directly above the header collector, at most 3/4 inch. There is just enough room to unscrew the filter and slip it between the filter housing and the header. No way to change the oil without a little smoke on start up.

What little heat is radiated into the oil is minimal.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You will be fine. The oil filter on my Olds is directly above the header collector, at most 3/4 inch. There is just enough room to unscrew the filter and slip it between the filter housing and the header. No way to change the oil without a little smoke on start up.

What little heat is radiated into the oil is minimal.
especially
I recently had a shop fabricate a dual exhaust on my c-20, everything seemed fine, until now.
Had a short oil filter on the engine when he did the system.
I changed the oil and filter yesterday, and the long filter is about an inch away from the headpipe that drops down from the manifold.
Should i give up on having the great filtration and go back to the short ones?
if you wanted to add cooling(how do you use your truck) to engine oil, you can get a sandwich adapter in there, short filter(or use a non oem or different adapter) and run to a heatsink type loop or to an unused radiator side tank or put one in front of the condensor/rad and mitigate anything possibly heated. but I agree with the radiated heat thing, if it doesnt touch its not doing much, heat from road would be far higher. exhaust leaks could be bad, so maybe if its a metal that will corrode easily, keep eye on it. wrap too could help. at the last step, a custom heat shield could be made and bolted in it just cant touch something too hot

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Keep in mind that most turbochargers are oil fed and get to exhaust temperatures. As long as there is flow going through the system it should be fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL