How to replace Blown fusable link;??!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick.koehler6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 5.7L
Hey guys I have a bad fusable link, I got in a hurry and hooked up the battery cables backwards, I know..Im dumb. I see a puff of smoke come from the firewall on the drivers side and smelt burnt rubber. I looked around and found a burned wire. Since that has had happened, Iv had a no start problem with my 83 k-10 with a 350 motor. I have 14.4V at the starter. I beleve that the fusable link has something to do with it. How do you replace this inline fuses?e

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Cut the bad section out and splice in a new one. You know any basic wiring?

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
a lot of people think the link is the connector but it is not it is the short section of wire from the plastic connector to the end. it can be repaired.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Kleedus is right. The fusible link is actually the short length of wire on the supply side of the plastic connector. With his permission, here is a bit more detail on fusible links:

In addition to circuit breakers and fuses, some circuits use fusible links to protect the wiring. Like fuses, fusible links are "one-time" protection devices that will melt and create an open circuit.

Not all fusible link open circuits can be detected by observation. A blown link often, but not always, has "bubbly" appearing insulation making troubleshooting easier. Always inspect that there is battery voltage past the fusible link to verify continuity.

Fusible links are used instead of a fuse in wiring circuits that are not normally fused, such as the ignition circuit. For AWG sizes (wire gauges), each fusible link is four wire gauge sizes smaller than the wire it is designed to protect. For example: to protect a 10 gauge wire, use a 14 gauge link (or for metric, to protect a 5mm wire, use a 2mm link). Links are marked on the insulation with wire-gauge size because the heavy insulation makes the link appear to be a heavier gauge than it actually is. The same wire size fusible link must be used when replacing a blown fusible link.

Good and damaged fusible links:

You must be registered for see images attach

Double wire feed fusible link repair:

You must be registered for see images attach

Choose the shortest length that is available. A fusible link should NEVER be longer than nine inches. Fusible links longer than this will not provide sufficient overload protection.

To replace a damaged fusible link, cut it off beyond the splice. Replace with a repair link. When connecting the repair link, strip the wire and use staking-type pliers to crimp the splice securely in two places. To replace a damaged fusible link which feeds two harness wires, cut them both off beyond the splice. Use two repair links, one spliced to each wire harness.

garzas23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Hey guys I have a bad fusable link, I got in a hurry and hooked up the battery cables backwards, I know..Im dumb. I see a puff of smoke come from the firewall on the drivers side and smelt burnt rubber. I looked around and found a burned wire. Since that has had happened, Iv had a no start problem with my 83 k-10 with a 350 motor. I have 14.4V at the starter. I beleve that the fusable link has something to do with it. How do you replace this inline fuses?e

I did the exact same thing! It was the fusible link leading to you junction block on the firewall right? Its actually kind of a good thing, because it means it surved its purpose. The fusible link fried at the junction block before it could short your trucks electrical system. If its like mine, it looks like 1 wire attached to your firewall, leading into a plastic tube then into 2 wires. They sale the same fusible link at NAPA for less than $5.

garzas23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Heres a pic of exactly what mine looked like and the fusible line from napa. Just go to napas website and type in fusible link, you will see it. Then ofcourse i just bought an eye to attach to the link so i could bolt it to the junction block. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_5742.jpg
    IMG_5742.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 1,712
  • NWMDC.jpg
    NWMDC.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 1,625

Nick.koehler6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 5.7L
Heres a pic of exactly what mine looked like and the fusible line from napa. Just go to napas website and type in fusible link, you will see it. Then ofcourse i just bought an eye to attach to the link so i could bolt it to the junction block. Hope this helps.

that is the one thAt was melted! I broke the black box on accident. ill just pick one up I guess! thanks guys! any more info would be great!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128