How to remove glued dashmat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Hi everyone. So I have a 78 C20 and there is a pretty ugly black carpet dahsmat glued down to the dash. The dash underneath is cracked on the driver's side but that's about it. How do I take the carpet off and remove the glue without ruining my dash more?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
If the cleanup doesn’t bother you, you could probably remove the whole pad, lift the cover up in as many places as possible, and try to syringe some kind of cooking oil under it. See how it acts after a day, but it might take several days to a week or more depending on how the glue’s bonded. I can’t see the oil hurting anything besides making it shiny.

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If the cleanup doesn’t bother you, you could probably remove the whole pad, lift the cover up in as many places as possible, and try to syringe some kind of cooking oil under it. See how it acts after a day, but it might take several days to a week or more depending on how the glue’s bonded. I can’t see the oil hurting anything besides making it shiny.
Or maybe goo gone or WD-40. The solvent base works to loosen glue

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Agreed. I've used the cooking oil for sticker residue, and it works well in that situation, but these are also good ideas.

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Not sure if this will work but if contact cement was used and you can get the dash cover off, stand it up and start on one end and put lacquer thinner or acetone in a squirt bottle and work it down let gravity work. Also something like dental floss or fishing line work it back and forth, may need an extra set of hands, but take it easy and it should release. Try a small spot to test. Good luck

DGDamato

Reaction score
First Name
Dominic
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
I'd say travel back in time and give a good smack to the installer before he applied the dash shag!! Kidding - obviously, slapping him wouldn't have changed anything - I remember seeing a ton of them back in the day.

On a helpful note, I believe that Pro-Power Goo-Gone would do the trick. It works really well on adhesives, is citrus oil based and does not damage paint. I'd soak it good like the posts before me suggested, let her sit a a bit and see what happens. With any luck your dash will be shag free.

You must be registered for see images attach

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I've used Goo-Gone many times to remove old adhesives...

But I've never seen or removed any Goo. What is this mysterious stuff?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheBeast1990