How to pick the correct headers...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GXPWeasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
1982 | 2015
Truck Model
Sierra C15 | Silverado Z71
Engine Size
5.0 | 5.3
I'm getting to the point where I'm just about ready to attach the trans back to the engine, and stab it back into the truck. I don't want to put the stock manifolds back on, so that leaves me with the endless choice of headers. I'll be honest, this isn't a show truck, and the engine is painted blue (similar to stock) and I'm not going to have a lot of flash under the hood except maybe a chrome air cleaner. So needless to say, I'm not interested necessarily how the headers look. I don't care to have them fancy ceramic coated, and I plan to just high temp paint either black or white. Where I'm stuck though is header length, and then, less worried about, but maybe just as important, primary size...
So what say you that have header experience? I'm lowered, but only 2", so I don't feel like I really have to worry about having them tucked up tight under the truck. However, I don't want long tubes sticking below the frame by 4" either. So do I skip what could be an iffy selection, and just go with mid-length headers? I do want it to be relatively easy for me to run exhaust. I thought about doing myself by purchasing plain tubing and bends and a muffler, and going to town. This would probably be easier with long tubes. I know, I have a lot of questions, but I really don't want to purchase headers twice.

Help please!

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I usually get the plain full length headers for a Chevelle or Camaro. Bolt them up, then put a rosebud tip on my cutting torch, get the tubes red hot where they transition from vertical to horizontal, and bend them up and out of the way.
Then pull them back off, sand and paint with high temp paint.

GXPWeasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
1982 | 2015
Truck Model
Engine Size
5.0 | 5.3
Hey, if you purchase painted headers you might want to sand the black off and paint with heat paint. the black is just a protectant.
yep, will do.

Anyone have picture of their long tubes from the bottom / side of the truck? Post the picture, and what headers you have if possible. I'd like to see how low they hang below the truck.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
yep, will do.

Anyone have picture of their long tubes from the bottom / side of the truck? Post the picture, and what headers you have if possible. I'd like to see how low they hang below the truck.
Is this on a SBC or a BBC? I have cheapo($50 used) flotech long tubes on my 350 in the K25. They don't hang down farther than my shackles do on the front leaf springs, but it would likely be visibly hanging low on a 2wd. @Catbox has a set of chevelle headers, I think, on his 454 and they tuck up nice and tight to the underside without having any interference.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I had Hooker and Flowtech headers (both meant for trucks) on my C10 when it was a small block and I don't remember them hanging much lower than the frame rails. It's a big block now, with Hedman headers meant for a Nova and they don't hang below the frame rails.

Definitely go with long tubes. Overall length of the primaries isn't a big deal on a mild engine. If small block, 1 5/8 tubes are kinda the "fits all" size for stock and mild engines.

I don't think there's much available for mid length?

Don't even consider shorties, imho. May as well just stick with manifolds.

GXPWeasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
1982 | 2015
Truck Model
Engine Size
5.0 | 5.3
Sorry' SBC (wee oh five).
Bextreme04 & Bucket, thanks. Those descriptions are helpful.

Mark Ugrich

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Headers on a street engine that operates at a relatively low rpm range have very little effect.Headers show gains in the upper rpm ranges in most cases.That being said,use as small a primary tube as possible.It will help maintain flow velocity,which is what makes a header work.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
I know now that you are a small block engine.
But here is what the Nova headers look like on the big block in my 2wd 3/4 ton.
They do not hang down at all.
This photo shows them with me under the truck looking for them
You must be registered for see images attach

This photo is with me level with the bottom of the chassis rail to see how tight they are.
You must be registered for see images attach

I would imagine the small block headers would be in the same-ish area.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
The SBC flotech type truck headers sit about 3-4" lower than that. Not a big deal on my 4wd truck, since they sit right about where the spring shackles are anyways.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I used Patriot long tube headers on my 82 C10 with a 350. They tucked up nice and high, but I had to slightly bend the fuel and brake lines near the motor mount on the passenger side, and relocate the clamp. No clearance problems anywhere else. Gaskets were worthless as usual, so I used some good gaskets with a steel core.

Attachments

• H8048 clearance before.JPG
    H8048 clearance before.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 128
  • H8048 tuck up.JPG
    H8048 tuck up.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_2147.JPG
    IMG_2147.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_2157.JPG
    IMG_2157.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_2158.JPG
    IMG_2158.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

GXPWeasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
1982 | 2015
Truck Model
Engine Size
5.0 | 5.3
Wow guys. Thanks for the words of wisdom, and the great pictures. This definitely helps me out, and gives me a couple of choices the way I see it. If anyone else would like to post their pictures and/or brand of header and how they fit, be my guest.
I'll update this post when I decide, and post pictures how they sit.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Wow guys. Thanks for the words of wisdom, and the great pictures. This definitely helps me out, and gives me a couple of choices the way I see it. If anyone else would like to post their pictures and/or brand of header and how they fit, be my guest.
I'll update this post when I decide, and post pictures how they sit.
You will want to pre-fit the tubes before you paint them. Don't be afraid to pound dents in them for clearance. Also check where the header bolts pass close to any tubes... you might want to clearance there a but too.
If you can, sandbast the headers before painting. If you go that far see if you can get heavy bast medium. The rougher you can leave the metal the better for the heat paint.
Long tubes, small diameter.

But on your 305 don't expect to feel any more power with these. Sorry.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I have no idea wtf my headers are as they were layin around but they fit and i custom jobbed the exhaust to fit. Stock height and a 350 2wd. Hang a lil low but never an issue.

Attachments

• 20160529_145546.jpg
    20160529_145546.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 99

rt66paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
paul
Truck Year
1991 suburban
Truck Model
Engine Size
Headers on a street engine that operates at a relatively low rpm range have very little effect.Headers show gains in the upper rpm ranges in most cases.That being said,use as small a primary tube as possible.It will help maintain flow velocity,which is what makes a header work.
How about using Rams Horns? They fit, are easy to hook up and don't get in the way. Unless you are expecting 6500 rpm, I wouldn't overthink it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg