How to achieve tighter steering?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wlwarnke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size

Attachments

• C5A5C9B6-715F-49B7-BAB7-151873A70E5B.jpeg
    C5A5C9B6-715F-49B7-BAB7-151873A70E5B.jpeg
    95.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 016DDC32-BD4F-4628-95E0-CFA85150AB5A.jpeg
    016DDC32-BD4F-4628-95E0-CFA85150AB5A.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 1B7554EC-087C-457C-A1BD-EA17E4AA679C.jpeg
    1B7554EC-087C-457C-A1BD-EA17E4AA679C.jpeg
    187.6 KB · Views: 50

Juggernaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Look at the Steering shaft and see how worn the rag joint is. This design allows a lot of slop no matter if new or not. Check out this Jeep steering shaft hack. It replaces the Chevy shaft with a Jeeps shaft which has no rag joint. I am doing this now to my 78 Cheyenne 4x4.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I was told many years ago by an old man much smarter than I, not to remove the rag joint and install a u-joint. His reason is that the rag joint absorbs vibrations and movement from both the road and from the cab, to protect the bearings and gears in the steering box and in the column. Your cab is mounted on rubber bushings and moves around much more than you might think. Without the rag joint you are relying on the ball joint at the column to take this movement, not just side to side but in and out too. The rag joint also absorbs bump steer and vibrations from the road that can travel up the shaft. I don't know if this is true, and I would like to know if someone has done this mod on a truck that does hard 4-wheeling, and if they have felt any difference or had steering failures

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I was told many years ago by an old man much smarter than I, not to remove the rag joint and install a u-joint. His reason is that the rag joint absorbs vibrations and movement from both the road and from the cab, to protect the bearings and gears in the steering box and in the column. Your cab is mounted on rubber bushings and moves around much more than you might think. Without the rag joint you are relying on the ball joint at the column to take this movement, not just side to side but in and out too. The rag joint also absorbs bump steer and vibrations from the road that can travel up the shaft. I don't know if this is true, and I would like to know if someone has done this mod on a truck that does hard 4-wheeling, and if they have felt any difference or had steering failures

Ideally, if removing a rubber isolator, you want the shaft to change lengths freely. Then there is no binding as the cab moves.

Removing the rag joint does indeed add in a noticeable amount of road feel, but that is a desired trait for many people.

Kurnacopia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
I was actually thinking about that just yesterday....I suppose the steering stabilizers would help but If its "too tight" it may be an issue. Thanks for bringing this up. Its an excellent point. MK

Juggernaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
How old is "old"?
I was probably in my early 20's, and he was probably late 60's. Now I'm 50 years old and that doesn't seem all that old! He was a sharp cookie though, helped me to rebuild my first steering gearbox. It's still in the truck today, works like a champ and doesn't leak a drop

Bruce Wingate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I dont love the idea of grinding anything on my steering assembly, im wondering if a different bolt with a longer shoulder might work. I know Borgson makes replacement shafts but their like $350 or something insane. How much better is the cross over steering, is it work the money? Ive got a V2500 on 33's, super mellow and i like it that way, do lots of highway miles and the play in the steering wheel is exhausting and dangerous.
I am going to Borgeson route - its not quite $300. Its cheaper (I think) and less work than crossover steering. The Jeep intermediate shaft is probably cheaper but I don't have a pick and pull or any good yards near me.

Check out this video for the shaft and steering bearing replacement:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
I just did the Jeep intermediate shaft. Got it at Summit for something like $130.
Problem with my steering seems to be in the box, I still have play.

Wish someone had an inexpensive rack and pinion setup for these! But if I am going to replace the box for $600-$700 I might as well pay the extra $200-$300 for R&P and be happy.

1990suburban2500

Reaction score
First Name
steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 2500
Engine Size
Yeah its likely not 300$ for my American friends, but the Canabuck sucks! Thanks for the video.

74Blaze

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5/Blazer
Engine Size
I have the Frame support and Crossover Steering with 4" lift and 33s. the ORD Crossover Steering fixed my looseness issues. Might have been going to the 2WD Steering Box which is required for Crossover Steering. I considered using the Jeep XJ Steeering Shaft as well. But once the Crossover upfit was complete the looseness went away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pete08