How much paint do I need, and other questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AaronW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
All:

I've working on my 89 crew cab, and am researching paint colors. How much paint should I get, for a repaint? I've never done this before, so I haven't got any real sense of wat I'm going to need. I'll be doing the whole outside of the cab and the front end, but not the bed, since I'm putting a flat bed on it. I'm going to put bedliner sray on the cab floor, not sure what I'm going to do with the ceiling. Will I need a gallon of paint? More than that? I was thinking of doing a metallic orange and black rhino liner combo (on the lower part of of cab). Here's a link to the paint I was looking at: https://tcpglobal.com/collections/a...atomic-orange-pearl/products/rsp-au2210-kit-m

Anyone have any opinions on this particular company, brand of paint? Opinions on enamel v.s urethane? As you can see, I'm a real newbie at this. Is there a good tutorial thread or youtube video you all would recommend, for a painting newbie? It's going to be early summer before I paint it, but I wanted to do some advance research and get my supplies ordered, so I'm ready when the weather warms up and we get a break from the wind.

Also, I've got a good HVLP gun (Fuji MiniMite 4) that I use for spraying furniture finishes (lacquer etc). I figured I'd spray my truck with this gun. Anyone see any issues with doing that?

Aaron

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It depends on a lot of factors how much paint is needed. First you need to find a paint store that will help you. Some colors will cover quite well, others not so much. Always buy more than you think it will take. Nothing is worse than running out of material. Base color under the paint has some effect on the amount needed. I used PPG for base/clear and Dupont for enamel, but most national brands are good. Centari had better gloss retention than the PPG Enamel. Base coat/clear coat colors cover better and are more durable than enamels.

There are many things you need to get right to have a nice result. Such as dry compressor air, compatible primers, proper temps and thinner, NO SILICONE ANYTHING WITHIN A BLOCK, that's just for starters.

As I said at the start, find a paint store and ask questions.

Grab your wallet it is going to be much more expensive than you think. Just bought 1 gallon of PPG K36 primer and a quart of catalyst, cost $500.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Look up Tamco (I'm like an unpaid spokesman lately, but like their products and prices).
And you can get good info from them on quantities and paint types. They're very helpful. (But any paint store should help you with qtys as well, just remember, they SELL paint for a living and the more they sell, the more $ they make, lol)
Read the thread below this one for quantities for my truck.
Quantity varies though with type of paint.

Urethane for sure. And know "what" youre painting, if doing underside of hood and inside of cab, that's a fair bit more than just exterior surfaces.

Personally, I would never buy any mail order paint (TCP, Eastwood, etc) unless it was a scuff, shoot and sell job. Tamco being the exception.
If you want it to last a long time, truck sits outside, lots of use, etc, paint quality is important.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Grab your wallet it is going to be much more expensive than you think. Just bought 1 gallon of PPG K36 primer and a quart of catalyst, cost $500.
Yup, 30 years ago, I spent over $1000 on primer and PPG Deltron enough for a full size car (boat, big ole impala).
20 years ago, I spent $1500 for the same (pickup truck).
2 years ago, I was looking at close to $3000 for the truck if using a high end product from (Sherwin Williams, PPG, BASF). But I spent just over $1000 for everything listed in that other thread and believe it to be on par with the big name stuff.

AaronW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Just getting started on this, so any and all comments are helpful. I live at least two hours from the nearest actual paint store, but I'll probably be up that way in the next month or so.

Aaron

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
check into Southern Polyurethanes Inc.
Great prices on probably the best epoxy primers and clear coats.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Personally, I would never buy any mail order paint (TCP, Eastwood, etc) unless it was a scuff, shoot and sell job. Tamco being the exception.
If you want it to last a long time, truck sits outside, lots of use, etc, paint quality is important.

I'm with Grit dog on the mail order thing with exception to some stuff. I really like the Summit Racing Epoxy primers, and high build primers and have even used the epoxy chassis shield paints.

I'm tempted to try their 2 stage stuff and high solids clear one of these days, I believe Summit paints are made by Sherwin Williams.

As far as your paint gun goes every paint should come with a "P Sheet" or a technical data sheet of sorts that will break down what type of spray equipment needed including fluid tip size and pressure range for squirting. Reading these sheets is a must, they have your substrate requirements, mixing instructions, induction times, pot life, flash times Etc...

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
When I had my '80 3+3 painted in 1995 it took 2 gallons of paint, plus everything else to go with it. That included the full interior and truck box.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Gman73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
Ck20
Engine Size
350 v8
do this before anything, go to autobody 101 forums and read all you can they are the best resource for someone who has never attempted a paint job, It's way more complex than you think. It's doable just take your time. Oh and it will cost more than you think.

AaronW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
Gary:

Thanks for the link to the autobody forum--that's going to be really helpful.

Aaron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes