How does this leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

plummrey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
christy
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
V8 5.0
Finally got the truck on ramps so I can get underneath and see my leaks. Since front end is up its really dripping at the transmission yoke, Does the ujoint need replacing or is it just a seal to replace? (a little at the speedometer gear housing & cable, looks like po did their own sealing there). Can’t find it a diagram specifically in the family bible sized shop manual

Attachments

• IMG_9907.jpeg
    IMG_9907.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_9905.jpeg
    IMG_9905.jpeg
    125 KB · Views: 76

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
May need a new seal or a speedy sleeve if the yoke has a groove worn in it. Also, most people don't know or care that there's a rubber grommet with external splines that goes inside the yoke. Missing that will allow fluid out the weep hole that @squaredeal91 mentioned above.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
May need a new seal or a speedy sleeve if the yoke has a groove worn in it. Also, most people don't know or care that there's a rubber grommet with external splines that goes inside the yoke. Missing that will allow fluid out the weep hole that @squaredeal91 mentioned above.
There are two types of yokes, one just has the plug, no vent. The other type with a vent, do have a spring loaded stopper inside or just the rubber stopper.

plummrey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
christy
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
V8 5.0
It needs the o-ring in the sleeve for the spline replaced,, so I took the u-joint off for nothing lol

plummrey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
christy
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
V8 5.0
Well,,,took the ext. housing off and…..isn’t this supposed to have a sleeve??!!

Attachments

• IMG_0085.jpeg
    IMG_0085.jpeg
    102.5 KB · Views: 31

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
It's called an " output shaft seal" and replaces with a hammer and a flathead , like the grease seal of a brake rotor.
Hope this helps, it is very inexpensive and installed in the part that isn't shown.

plummrey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
christy
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
V8 5.0
I have that seal your talking about coming Monday but I’m referring to the sleeve that’s missing, I found info online when looking into the hole in the slip yoke that trans fluid was leaking out at off, it needs the sleeve and small o ring that fits within the sleeve, in my shop manual it also has a sleeve in pics

supposedly the po did some trans fluid service, if so they didn’t change the filter and gasket was old

Attachments

• IMG_0035.jpeg
    IMG_0035.jpeg
    159.5 KB · Views: 35

plummrey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
christy
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
V8 5.0
Imma back lol kinda obsessed with reading up on this, I read in my manual ‘some models will not have a sleeve’ . That’s fine but reading around it seems the ones with the sleeve are for the vented yokes, and ones without holes in the yoke don’t have the sleeve and parts are lubricated with trans fluid within the tail housing/yoke. If it’s one with the sleeve then the parts beyond the sleeve need a type of grease added. What kind should be used? Not sure if po or someone didn’t put on the sleeve or put on a different yoke. Either way it’s not matching up. I ordered a sleeve and o-ring and will see if it works along with seeing if yoke fits in it.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
I changed speedo gear in my R4 several years ago and left out the sleeve. Someone sometime later told me it will leak without it. I'm sure someday it will but has yet to do it.

plummrey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
christy
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
V8 5.0
I thought maybe I won’t park on steep hills or maybe just drive in reverse if we go to the mountains lol, but since all stuff is out I might as well try to fix whatever now

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
I thought maybe I won’t park on steep hills or maybe just drive in reverse if we go to the mountains lol, but since all stuff is out I might as well try to fix whatever now
just put a spot of weld over that weep hole and run it.

BadBowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
5.0L
Plug is called a Welch plug. Some have a vent hole, some do not. I've only worked on about 6 of these on squarebodys, and none had the sleeve inside the tailshaft housing.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike