How do I get good sound quality out of my stock head unit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
So I recently took out my stock head unit in hopes of installing Bluetooth somehow. I ultimately decided that I didn't want to mess with anything and ruin a perfectly good stock head unit. I also don't want to buy a new retro-sound or anything if it's possible to make use of my stock head unit.

If I am going to keep my stock head unit I'd also like to upgrade the sound quality a bit. In this thread, I'd like to purely focus on that first.

Most new head units have considerably better audio quality than old head units. Is this usually because of the amplifier inside or are there other factors? If so, can I get equally as good audio from my stock unit with an external amplifier or something of that sort?

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
40 year old technology versus modern. Stay with the "old school" or ditch it for modern. Same applies to instrumentation, fuel system, transmission, suspension....

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Are the speakers in good condition? Even if they are, I’d replace them with modern replacements. The best stereo money can buy will sound like crap if they are played with crap speakers.

I bought one of these FM modulated Bluetooth transmitter for my Ram. I play my phone thru it when nothing is good on the radio.
You must be registered for see images attach

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
Both my 76 and 79 I have made the same setups to add bluetooth with no modifications, It uses a marine bluetooth receiver and a FM modulator, plugs inline with the antenna and when the modulator is on, tune to that station and then play your tunes, cut power to it and back to FM. Costs around $50 and I have used this in the 76 for about 4 years on a near daily basis.