How can you tell if an off-idle stumble is caused by a lean or a rich condition? Carb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kapdin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K30, Scottsdale K20, Silverado C10, Silverado V10, Silverado V20
Engine Size
400ci, 350ci, 350ci, TBI 350ci, TBI 350ci
spent the last hr researching q-jets. im trying to forget everything ive learned to see if im just dumb but so far ive found wat jims talking about

Tech Tip #3
How can you tell if an off-idle stumble is caused by a lean or a rich condition?

A carb running rich, as well as a carb running lean, can cause an off-idle stumble or hesitation upon acceleration. To narrow it down,
tap the roll pin out of the accelerator pump lever by using a small pin punch or a small finish nail. I actually use a small, broken drill
bit that’s just the right size. Using a hammer, gently tap the roll pin in towards the choke air horn wall. Don’t jam the pin right up
against the wall: Leave just a little bit of a gap so you can get a screwdriver blade in between the wall and the pin to pry it back again.

With the pin tapped out, remove the accelerator pump lever. I like to do this with the engine running so I won’t have any trouble
starting the engine without the accelerator pump. Now, rev the engine a little with the throttle. Notice if the engine seems quicker and
more responsive, or if the hesitation & stumble is worse. If the engine actually feels more responsive with the accelerator pump
disconnected, you have a rich condition. If the hesitation is worse than before, you have a lean condition. If there is no change
whatsoever, you have a non-functional accelerator pump.

To verify a suspected lean condition after this test, simply hold your cupped hand lightly over the choke air horn area with the engine
running at idle, restricting the air flow. If the idle speed and idle quality momentarily increases, you have a verified lean condition.
You need to select a jet/rod combination that will give you a little more Cruise Metering Area. Make these changes in less than 10%
increments using the Figures provided in this paper.

Last edited by a moderator:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The only thing I don't like about this type of test is, it doesn't say what to expect if you have it right as is. Unless of course you metering rods to go the wrong way, then you back up to where it was previously.

I think most of already know, it's very common for QJets to be rich. For mpg purposes, it doesn't hurt to be on the lean side. Just don't go so far as to cause a lean misfire or you will hurt your mpg.

That's my .02 cents to add.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
A carburetor mounted to a dual plane manifold with no crossover between primary bores from one side to the other can cause an off idle hesitation.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Lean typically backfires if very lean, rich typically soots up the plugs.

Tobe's84Jimmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tobe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra Classic
Engine Size
5.7 350
i’m probably at least the third owner of my 84 jimmy and my off idle stumble was because my distributor was a tooth off. after getting it on the right tooth, problem was gone. good luck, hope you sort it out

GMFORLIFE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Camper Special
Engine Size
Never want to run on the lean side.
Ive purchased my last 2 carbs from allstate carb.
Holley 3310's
They are flow tested before shipping.
They look so nice.
They run even better.
Best ,$300 you could possibly spend on your ride!

Reaction score
First Name
dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
easier than driving out the roll pin, and potentially damaging things, is to just slowly push the accel pump down with your finger, hold it there until engine smooths, then try the rev test. the needles on the quadrajunk have been a problem area since before most of yall were born. we would polish them right where the wear marks were, which is the area that caused the lean stumble. and remember, float height is critical, and they dont like intakes as referenced above. i never removed the roll pin after the first one i ever rebuilt. you remove the bottom first, fold it over as you unhook the linkage to the choke and accel pump.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Make sure your throttle plates are closed and idling on the idle circuit.Lots of people run the the throttle stop screw in to far and are idling on the transition circuit.Now that your using the transition circuit to idle, the transition circuit doesn't have the fuel to transition from idle to open throttle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84