Horn wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

81squared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Truck Year
Truck Model
scottsdale
Engine Size
Hello

I’m trying to figure out how to wire my horn button.

my column does not have a wire coming from the column like the directions call for.

do I need to run a wire up the column ? Or is there another way ?

Old grant steering wheel horn worked.

any ideas ?

You must be registered for see images attach

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
There had to be one wire that was connected to the Grant wheel adapter for it to work. Are you sure it isn't under the new adapter?

81squared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Truck Year
Truck Model
scottsdale
Engine Size
Previous owner said it ran or negative feed somehow. I don’t know. It seems like it’s difficult to run any wire up there.

if I can’t get it I’ll just wire a horn switch.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@81squared,

You have the later model tilt steering column, don't you. The one that has the box on the left side with all the wipers, head light dimmer/bright, and turn signal lever on it? The horn wire is buried in all those wires going to that box. Like others who've repaired/rebuilt those columns they do present additional problems with wiring. You may look in the "Library" section and get a picture of your column, I think like, '78 on or something like that? Even though, if you want to do some research back into some older threads from earlier this year, it seemed that I was rebuilding my column about the same time a whole bunch of guys were having column problems as well.

Go back to the home page, go down to "suspension, steering, ??" and in some of those on the first or second page of threads you'll find guys who had some problems with columns like yours, and mine is in there to, but around those are break downs of the column with detailed tear downs on columns like yours and you will see all those wires and how to get to them. At least you will get some idea of what you may need to do, or some idea of what you're up against.
You need your horn. How else are you going to signal your pals you're out front so they can sneak out of the house and their wives won't know?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shake1969