horn question??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
so after the turn signal install, I want to make sure the horn is working before I put everything back together. If I push the little plunger down on the turn signal switch down should the horn sound off or am I missing a ground of some sort with the lock plate not installed?? I know there is a little contact under the turn switch,next to the screw that hold the key tumbler in place. any help??

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
so after the turn signal install, I want to make sure the horn is working before I put everything back together. If I push the little plunger down on the turn signal switch down should the horn sound off or am I missing a ground of some sort with the lock plate not installed?? I know there is a little contact under the turn switch,next to the screw that hold the key tumbler in place. any help??
i believe the stuff needs to be installed. I remember that myself long ago, hopefully we are referring to same thing

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
i believe the stuff needs to be installed. I remember that myself long ago, hopefully we are referring to same thing
not sure myself, just thought maybe the horn would work just by pushing that little plunger down by hand, it may need to be grounded,then pushed

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
that plunger rides on the turn cancel cam on the bottom side

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
well I think my horns are toast. took both of them off, tried to go direct to the battery and nothing

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
well I think my horns are toast. took both of them off, tried to go direct to the battery and nothing
well that would explain a lot yes, the only logical thing to do now is

You must be registered for see images attach

High end gm train car horns

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
HA HA just a bit on the expensive side for something I would hardly use but they would be cool!! not much to honk at around here except turkey and deer on the road

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
HA HA just a bit on the expensive side for something I would hardly use but they would be cool!! not much to honk at around here except turkey and deer on the road
well they would certainly GTFO if it sounds like they bout to be splat by a coupe de ville

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
update, I got the horns to work,wasn't jumping them the right way,so re installed got them working up to the plunger on the turn switch,now waiting on parts for under the horn pad on the steering wheel-- whew!!:cool:
:cool:

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
update, I got the horns to work,wasn't jumping them the right way,so re installed got them working up to the plunger on the turn switch,now waiting on parts for under the horn pad on the steering wheel-- whew!!:cool:
:cool:

Attachments

• IMG_0388.JPG
    IMG_0388.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0389.JPG
    IMG_0389.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 81

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
The little plunger needs to be grounded to get the horns to work.

If the horns don’t work even with power applied directly to the connection, give them a light tap with a hammer. Sometimes that will get them going again.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You must be registered for see images attach

I have no idea if my horn(s?) were OE or not but does this look oe? i thought the horn was quite "good" for a bare bones truck thats old but young enough to have RPOs Id think for nicer horns/setups

also you can see I had some friends. yikes

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
well just a quick update, the horn is working!! the lights are working!!! and I got the windshield wipers to working!!!, this truck has been a challenge for sure.lots of little stuff gone wrong from sitting and previous owners work. Now time to get back at it and re-install the dash and get on to something else!! Brake master cylinder is next on the check list, got all new calipers and wheel cylinders but in past experience, the master cylinders go south after sittin for a long time!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rumpity_z28