Holley Sniper and Gas Tank Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuckler3

Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 SBC
Old, dirty saddle tanks are coming out and I'm leaning towards the 31 gallon Blazer tank to go with a Sniper EFI swap. This is also going to coincide with new brake lines

Two tank options I'm looking at currently:

https://www.efisystempro.com/efi-fuel-tank-1982-87-chevy-blazer-tm15b-t-kit

I'm still sorting through the particulars/odds/ends but am currently planning on pulling the bed in the coming weeks and starting the teardown.

Is there a Holley-specific pump/sending unit I should be considering with the non-efi tank from Classic?
Are either of those tank options better than the other?
Sanity/idiot check?

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
87+ tank and sending unit from a k5 or burb.

As far as your pump, what kinda horsepower are you supporting?

An ACdelco ep381 will support up to 450hp and fit right in your 87-91 burb or k5 sending unit.

(Have done it and proven it)

If you need more than 450hp like I did, I installed a walbro 455 , which supports 700+ hp, and will fit in a 87-91 k5 or suburban sending unit with some zipties or hose clamps to secure it.
You must be registered for see images attach

If you're exceeding 650hp, it's time for either bigger injectors in the holley (higher flow rate) or a holley super sniper.

chuckler3

Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 SBC
Thank you.
Is the difference in the 87+ tanks just that they're factory EFI tanks or does the 82-91 tanks still work for my needs?

I just have a 360hp Blueprint crate, so no extravagant HP needs.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Thank you.
Is the difference in the 87+ tanks just that they're factory EFI tanks or does the 82-91 tanks still work for my needs?

I just have a 360hp Blueprint crate, so no extravagant HP needs.

The 87-91 tanks are baffled inside,

They are the "fuel injected squarebody" tanks.
(Tbi injection)

Then it sounds like an acdelco ep381 will fit right into your 87-91 sender and tank.

In my instance for my c10, I have a 1 year only 1987 c10 saddle tank and sending unit for the 1 year only half ton pickup truck that had tbi.

Note for you, when you order the fuel tank + sender, remember to match them

31g tank + 31g sending unit

--or--
41g tank + 41g sending unit

I've confirmed they don't interchange

Btw I chimed in because I'm running holley efi + the 87 saddle tank in my 79

I misunderstood the HP support of the ep381 and killed two of them in short order trying to support a bigger horsepower motor than the pumps could support.

So I moved up to the walbro 455. Noisey b@stard, and didn't fit so nicely like the ep381 did
But buddy when them secondry barrels open on that sniper, its glorious, all American music

Just the feel of a traditional holley carb.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
I will also let you know, for an immediate solution, the holley "master install" kit comes with a inline frame mounted pump that'll support the 650hp the regular sniper supports.

That means, you can run whatever tank you want. If you wanna put a jerry can in your bed, it'll work.

As long as there's a return.

The sniper Likes that return.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
And holley sells retro fit sending units for the various gas tanks too.

Many options.

chuckler3

Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 SBC
Extremely good info. Thank you.

Quick status update:

Tank:

EFI:

In-Line:

That's some good money savings too oddly enough. If these pieces are appropriate, I'm just a filler neck away from being on the right track.

Anyone ever run the fuel filler neck back to the original fuel door on the K10? I'm guessing I'll run into tight spaces between body and frame from the rear access of the blazer and my front access on the K10.

leverhead

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
blazer
Engine Size
If it helps, I have a 75 blazer, currently with quadrajet, but plumbed it efi ready using stock tank (31 gal) and Tanks Inc retro fit pump with tray (PA-4) and extra thick gasket (6G-F). Works great. No noise, starvation or cavitation issues. Some pics attached.

Plumbed with Gates Greenshield and braided teflon hose at flex points, and hard line along frame, AN fittings etc. Using relay and #10 wire for power, and weatherpack at the tank for easy removal. Currently have a bypass reg for carb but have a Holley Stealthram that I may go with in the near future. I kept the OEM sender in the stock location and used it for the vent and return. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• tank8.jpg
    tank8.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 119
  • tank7.jpg
    tank7.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 130
  • tank4.jpg
    tank4.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

chuckler3

Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 SBC
More information is always appreciated, so thank you.
Ended up with the 31gal TBI tank from the blazer which apparently fits in the frame.. I know others have done it, but was still expecting the worst.

Holley sniper and their sniper retrofit in-tank pump for the blazer tank are coming..
Still need to pickup fuel lines hard and soft. Also need Holley to ship that hardware... that'd be nice.

Other half of this project is replacing all the brake hardware. So all new hard lines (the LMC box showed up in one piece so that's a good sign), master/booster... actually hooking up the rear brakes since the lines were snapped and the proportioning valve is apparently seized.
Also pretty sure the brake fluid is from the late jurassic period..

So project "make it start when i tell it to, and stop in general" has started..
now to start thinking about how to route the filler neck up to the stock fuel door in front of the rear tire on the driver side.. well that a whole mess of other labor-intensive work... something about cutting frame supports so that tank actually squeezes down in there. Gonna throw a beer at it and see what happens.

Attachments

• PXL_20220612_215446979.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220612_215446979.MP.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 290

chuckler3

Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 SBC
Making some progress. Waiting on some paint to dry on the frame supports that have been moved and some rain to stop so I can get underneath it and drill up through to bolt down the angle steel for the straps.

Started looking into the fuel line options and have decided to go with ss hardline and replace all the factory stuff since it stops so short.

Looking for recommendations on tooling to bend/connect the SS hardline as well as PTFE tooling for the ends. - that's a whole new world for me so I'm starting from scratch.

Second pic shows the lack of clearance longitudinally of for the rear end to come up and make holes in the tank. Got a solid 5.5-6" vertically between the two and a renewed need for longer bump stops anyways since the 4" spring lift on it negates the current stockers.
Second pic also shows the brilliance of my painting abilities. I'm here all week.

Attachments

• PXL_20220716_184605363.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220716_184605363.MP.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 120
  • PXL_20220716_184615629.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220716_184615629.MP.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 114

consti2tion

Reaction score
First Name
Cw
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
What size SS hardline did you end up going with?

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Tracking this- as I want to do the same thing. Someday.

Is your truck a shortbed?

Would there be any advantage to using bedliner on the outside of the gas tank? To help protect it from getting a hole rubbed thru it by the straps? Maybe even a "real" one like LineX?

chuckler3

Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 SBC
Tracking this- as I want to do the same thing. Someday.

Is your truck a shortbed?

Would there be any advantage to using bedliner on the outside of the gas tank? To help protect it from getting a hole rubbed thru it by the straps? Maybe even a "real" one like LineX?
I'm actually just finishing up getting the new hard brake lines in, temp installed the new braided PTFE fuel lines, and am starting in on the wiring (my least favorite part). The next step is to drop the tank one last time, spray bedliner on most of the underside, and stick some 1/16" rubber around my new contact points.

Truck is a long bed. Still mentally working through the fill neck routing.. Gonna be a fun couple of days trying to wrangle the bed while it's propped up on some 4x4's

chuckler3

Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 SBC
What size SS hardline did you end up going with?
Ended up replacing all hard fuel lines with PTFE/steel braid from Hot Rod Fuel Hose. Kits were decently priced and the hardware appears to be good quality. Haven't run anything wet through them yet.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Ended up replacing all hard fuel lines with PTFE/steel braid from Hot Rod Fuel Hose. Kits were decently priced and the hardware appears to be good quality. Haven't run anything wet through them yet.
Just read through your project thread, sounds like a fun one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK