high idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chmurphy

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Hello,

troubleshooting an issue with high idle in park and neutral and i narrowed it down to the choke (i think?). With the electrical connection to this (picture) connected, and the engine somewhat warm, the bolt looking piston (?) pushes out against the throttle linkage and causes the idle to be 1k rpm in park and neutral. I found if i unplugged the wire connection to this (picture), bolt looking piston (?) releases back off of the throttle linkage, and the idle is 600 rpm in park and neutral.

anyone know if its normal? its almost 50 outside and engine is warm. Also can someone tell me what this is called? Thanks

You must be registered for see images attach

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
That isn't the choke. That is the A/C high idle solenoid. It is supposed to kick the idle up when the A/C is engaged. You wouldn't happen to be in defrost when it is engaging would you? Look to see if it is engaging when the AC compressor kicks on. If you don't have working AC, just disconnect it until you get the AC fixed.

chmurphy

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
That isn't the choke. That is the A/C high idle solenoid. It is supposed to kick the idle up when the A/C is engaged. You wouldn't happen to be in defrost when it is engaging would you? Look to see if it is engaging when the AC compressor kicks on. If you don't have working AC, just disconnect it until you get the AC fixed.

my kind of answer! truck does not have AC and yes defrost was on. Thanks a million !

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Did your truck ever have A/C. If not then you don't need that part at all.

WesN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
They were also used as an anti diesel solenoid, you adjust the idle with it unplugged with the regular screw to a low idle and plug it in and adjust the hex on the solenoid to your regular idle speed. When you turn the key off the solenoid will drop closed an hopefully I’d won’t diesel. I didn’t have one but installed one on my square and have it connected to a toggle switch so when I go to the track I can bump up my idle speed higher to help with consistent staging.

Wumbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
^This

My engine was dieseling when mine was out of adjustment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes