High beam, 4x4 and low range indicator lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
As my handle would indicate, I have a 1984 Chevy K30 with the Scottsdale trim package. Truck is a factory big block with a 4 speed. Transfer case is a NP205.

When I purchased truck approximately 1 year ago, the gauge cluster was half operational. I have corrected several issues by replacing all of the bulbs and the headlight switch. Prior to doing so, the high beam indicator light was working opposite of how it is intended- meaning the two little blue dots near the top of the speedometer would illuminate when the low beams were on but would shut off when I flipped the high beams on.

Since doing the aforementioned repairs, I have no high beam indicator light. Does any one know what controls the indicator light/where it gets its power/is it associated with a switch or fuse etc.

Also, should my truck have “4wd/4x4” or low range indicator lights? It obviously isn’t a secret when either of these systems are in play, I’d just like them to work if my truck is supposed to have them.

Thanks,
Eric

EvilGenius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Darien
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yes your truck should have a 4wd indicator. I started a thread here that goes over the harness for it and how it should function.

For your highbeam indicator issue, I would start by looking at grounds. Never hurts to clean them up. Interior grounds are located on the parking brake peddle housing. I'd also clean up the ground that runs from the cab to the engine block, which runs from the passenger head to the firewall.

If the grounds doesn't help anything, start looking at the wiring diagrams for the truck. You can find threads that contain the PDFs of the service and wiring manuals here. I've solved a lot of my wiring issues just by tracing wires to see what end goes where and by following along with the wiring diagrams. Most systems in the trucks run off switched grounds.

Good luck.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Sounds like maybe the the cluster circuit board is having issues? Ive had a few light bulbs get left out because the plastic detroirated so much i couldnt put the bulb twistys in anymore. Does your high beams work properly?
Mine never had indicated until i cleaned up a ground for the cluster which is by your feet on driver side somewhere i think.

84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Yep, my high beams have always worked. I went ahead and purchased a new ammeter/voltmeter from LMC. I also purchased a factory replacement ground strap that goes from the passenger side head to the firewall. I keep hearing about this brake pedal ground...does anyone have a picture of it? I have looked but don't know exactly where to look/what exactly I'm looking for.

Also, where do the "low range" and "4x4" indicator lights physically appear on the gauge panel when illuminated?

Thanks,
Eric

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
there are 4 lights in the center area, dumby lights, 1 for brake, 1 for choke(glow if diesel), 1 for seatbelt, 1 for 4x4, range vs another. i know that the extra light varied depending on year/application

EvilGenius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Darien
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
@84K30

Here is a picture of the interior ground bus. Number 1 is the ground for the instrument cluster. Number 2 is the ground for the 4x4 indicator sub-harness. Number 3 is the ground for my power window harness. The location on the ground bus doesn't matter, these are just where mine are. This ground bus is attached to the parking brake assembly for most years as you can see here. Sometimes this ground bus is located up on the the underside of the dash in this area, but I think that is uncommon. If you cannot locate it, start tracing that thin black wire (#1) from the gauge cluster harness as it always connects to the bolt that holds down the ground bus.
You must be registered for see images attach

Here is a picture that identifies what lights are what on the gauge cluster. This is a spare for me and I forgot to put the indicator films back in place, but just look at the arrows for what is what.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
@84K30

Here is a picture of the interior ground bus. Number 1 is the ground for the instrument cluster. Number 2 is the ground for the 4x4 indicator sub-harness. Number 3 is the ground for my power window harness. The location on the ground bus doesn't matter, these are just where mine are. This ground bus is attached to the parking brake assembly for most years as you can see here. Sometimes this ground bus is located up on the the underside of the dash in this area, but I think that is uncommon. If you cannot locate it, start tracing that thin black wire (#1) from the gauge cluster harness as it always connects to the bolt that holds down the ground bus.

Here is a picture that identifies what lights are what on the gauge cluster. This is a spare for me and I forgot to put the indicator films back in place, but just look at the arrows for what is what.
thanks i was gonna do that.. but i forgot

84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Thanks for the photo. Now I know what I'm looking for. My parking brake and seat belt lights (upon startup only) both work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54