hey stereo people

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

colonel mustard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5 blazer
Engine Size
so I have a 82 k5. I recently put new 6x9 in rear and new what ever size in the dash. I have a pioneer dep-5000 head unit. the 6x9 are not in any kind of sealed box (should they be ?)

a couple questions. I'm looking for more low end noise. bass. it doesn't seem to have any really to speak of. I have messed with the equailizer and setting a lot. just doesn't seem to do it. do you think its because the 6x9's are not sealed? am I missing something? I'm not looking for crazy bass....but it would be nice to have some. I have ran this set up before in cars and it sounded great. thanks

head unit pioneer dep-s5000
front speakers kicker 3 1/2" 30watt 2 way
rear speakers blaupunkt 6x9 450 watt 4 way

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
so I have a 82 k5. I recently put new 6x9 in rear and new what ever size in the dash. I have a pioneer dep-5000 head unit. the 6x9 are not in any kind of sealed box (should they be ?)

a couple questions. I'm looking for more low end noise. bass. it doesn't seem to have any really to speak of. I have messed with the equailizer and setting a lot. just doesn't seem to do it. do you think its because the 6x9's are not sealed? am I missing something? I'm not looking for crazy bass....but it would be nice to have some. I have ran this set up before in cars and it sounded great. thanks

head unit pioneer dep-s5000
front speakers kicker 3 1/2" 30watt 2 way
rear speakers blaupunkt 6x9 450 watt 4 way
Yes an enclosure will help a lot. There are free air subs, but 6x9s aren’t in that category.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Yes. Your 6x9's need to be in a sealed box to get them to get the maximum amount of bass out of them. You can buy some already 6x9 boxes for cheap. I've got 2 6x9 boxes and they sound really good.

You must be registered for see images attach

Here's a pic of the 6x9 box I have in my camaro. As you can see I have since installed a 10 inch sub in the truck also. I like a lot of bass in my stereo system but, before I put the sub in the 6x9's bass was good(I just wanted more) but, might be the right amount for you. In order to get the full sound out of them you need to have them in a box. If you don' want to buy the boxes you should definitely build you some. Or make one to mount both of them in. Either way put them in some type of sealed box or boxes.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
If you build one to mount both make sure there is seperation between the two. Sound quality will take a header if you don’t. Specific volume is of importance too, to achieve good sound.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
How are your 6x9's mounted? In my '77 K5, circa 1992, I had 6x9's in the bottom of the front doors (manual windows) and another set mounted vertically in the rear side panels behind the driver's seat.

The PO had removed the side panels prior to my purchase, so I had new ones made when I re-did the interior. We used a thicker plywood that the 6x9's were mounted to. I also added 3 or 4" dense foam between the metal body and side panel (this is long before Dynamat). I left room around the speaker for some air to move. Had plenty of base.

colonel mustard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5 blazer
Engine Size
thanks for the feedback guys. ill get them sealed. pics to come. do you all think I should be using an amp for my 6x9 ? the are 150 continouis watts and 450 max watt

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
insulating the dash helps the tiny speakers in the front as well

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
Engine Size
454, 305
thanks for the feedback guys. ill get them sealed. pics to come. do you all think I should be using an amp for my 6x9 ? the are 150 continouis watts and 450 max watt

Yes I would. You have some good 6x9's with a high continuous watt. 150w rms is really good. So you need to put close to that wattage to them. If you get am amp that puts out close to that per channel. Then you can turn the gain at about 3/4 of the way up and that will keep distortion down. Which allows you to keep you from having to turn volume knob way up which also reduces distortion. My Kenwood system in the camaro is not turned up over 20 to 25 and it's max volume is like 35 or so. At 20 to 25 it's nice loud, clean, crisp sound. Because the more to have to turn it up the more distortion you will put in the system. I would just hook your dash speakers up to the deck. That will probably be enough watts for them and get a 2 channel amp for your 6x9's.

colonel mustard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5 blazer
Engine Size
Yes I would. You have some good 6x9's with a high continuous watt. 150w rms is really good. So you need to put close to that wattage to them. If you get am amp that puts out close to that per channel. Then you can turn the gain at about 3/4 of the way up and that will keep distortion down. Which allows you to keep you from having to turn volume knob way up which also reduces distortion. My Kenwood system in the camaro is not turned up over 20 to 25 and it's max volume is like 35 or so. At 20 to 25 it's nice loud, clean, crisp sound. Because the more to have to turn it up the more distortion you will put in the system. I would just hook your dash speakers up to the deck. That will probably be enough watts for them and get a 2 channel amp for your 6x9's.

thanks for advice. so when I'm looking at amps...a 400 watt 2 channel would be good? I found one that says its max power is 400 watt bridged. so am I safe to say its 200 per channel? sorry for the ignorance....I'm not too savvy on audio stuff yet.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Even a 40 or 50 x 2 amp would be plenty to push those speakers.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
Engine Size
454, 305
thanks for advice. so when I'm looking at amps...a 400 watt 2 channel would be good? I found one that says its max power is 400 watt bridged. so am I safe to say its 200 per channel? sorry for the ignorance....I'm not too savvy on audio stuff yet.

No problem man. I'm glad to help. I know more about stereo systems than I do about working on the engine and other things on our trucks. Lol. That amp would be a good one for your 6x9's. Because you won't have to crank the volume to push them, keeping your distortion down. Therefore your music will be much cleaner.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Generally amp should be decent as an amp that is pushed will produce cliping and bad thd, which will overheat the coil and damage the speaker.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Make sure you amp and speaker impendence ratings are the same

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MixManSC