1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Her toy, round two.....

Discussion in '2wd Pick-Ups C10 C1500 R10 R1500' started by Paint guy, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Paint guy

Paint guy Full Access Member

First Name:
    Glenn
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    R10
    Engine Size:
    Hello all,

So this will be the start of my project thread. So I thought I would bring everyone up to speed as to who I am and what I am doing. Starting with my introduction a while ago:

https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/new-from-ct.18027/

Then there is this thread where I posted about my other two toys.

https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/my-pair.26490/#post-504540

Now the blue Maverick in the post above was to be for my daughter Hannah. But being a hot rodder things got out of control and she doesn't want it any more. Not a bad thing, I now have two toys! Besides that, her interests have changed since I first started the Mac so many years ago. For the past 3-4 years all she talks about is classic trucks, and specifically squarebodies. So I have been on the hunt for one, but am not able to spend too much money. Her older sister is in collage at $70k a year, and she starts senior year of high school next week and is already set to start applying to colleges herself. So running out and dropping $10-15k for a nice rust free truck isn't going to happen.

Besides, why do that when she has a dad that has spent his career in the restoration/collision industry and can build one for her? So about 3 weeks ago a coworker told me about his neighbors 87 R10. The original owner passed away about 2.5 years ago and the truck has been sitting under a tree ever since. The widow decided it was time to clean out the driveway. So with a new battery and some starting fluid it fired right up! It's a 305/700R4 truck, Silverado so it has power everything, black with maroon interior. It certainly has its share of rust, but it came with a perfect rust free and super straight hood and front fenders. Floors and cab mounts are rock solid, but it needs the typical inner and outer rockers and cab corners. Also some rust in the bed quarters, but the floor and supports are perfect. There must have been a bedlinen in this truck as the floor barely has a dent in it.

So on the sly, I got the truck home and in my backyard garage yesterday while she was at work. We knew exactly when she was coming home, so my wife, older daughter and I stood in the garage and when she rolled down the driveway I hit the button and the overhead door went up to surprise her. She almost started crying when she saw the truck she was so happy! It was everything we were hoping for in a surprise!!

So here are a couple before and after pictures of the truck. Having been sitting for so long under a tree it was disgusting and took me 4.5 hours of scrubbing to get it clean. This was all done at work before bringing it home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hannah checking out her new/old truck!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Me showing her some of the details and things about the truck......

[​IMG]

So a few weeks ago I sprayed this panel to show her. She LOVES two tone trucks, to her they look more classic. So this is the paint scheme it will have. Obviously this isn't exactly like what GM did, but I was being quick and not trying to replicate anything. The maroon here is a color I made up a couple years ago for a friends hot rod but we ended up going a different route. So this color only exists in my head and has never been on a vehicle. Being this truck has the maroon interior I figure this is finally the time to use it. She LOVED it when she saw it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So first of all is to rebuild all the suspension and mechanics. It doesn't matter how goor they look if they don't run and stop right. I will be lowering it, but not too much. I'm thinking a 3.5 front and 4 rear is good enough. I want this to be very very drivable for her. New wheels and tires of course. Then fix up the body and paint. I hope to have all this done by about April 1st so as our New England weather gets decent she can start driving it and finish her school year with it.

So feel free to follow along. Also offer up any pointers where I may be doing something wrong, or whatever.

Thanks,

Glenn

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    Old77, 78C10BigTen, 81Bart and 3 others like this.
  2. K201979

K201979 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Hippie
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K20
    Engine Size:
    350ci
    Great story, good luck on the build. Looking at your other stuff, im sure it will be beautiful. Cant wait to see it!

3. shanegtr

shanegtr Full Access Member

First Name:
    Shane
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    R2500 Suburban
    Engine Size:
    That's going to look killer once sprayed! And its awesome to see young ladies getting involved in the hobby. I can only hope to rub of my automotive enthusiasm to my daughter (and my boys as well :D)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    78C10BigTen likes this.
  4. TerryRH

TerryRH Full Access Member

First Name:
    Terry
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    R10
    Engine Size:
    350ci
    Be careful, you may just find mine in your garage for a spraying lol. Great find and that is going to be amazing!

5. 1973c10

1973c10 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Don
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C10
    Engine Size:
    :favorites13:

6. Paint guy

First Name:
    Glenn
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    R10
    Engine Size:
    So for right now the truck is sitting while I do my research on what parts I need/want and make a plan for the rebuild. One of the things I need are bed sides as mine are rotted badly. Last week while searching CL I found a pretty good left bed side with a few dents but no rot.

At work (PPG) we run a Restoration classes. This week we are running one and have friend Charley Hutton (does everyone know who he is from the Boyd Coddington show American Hot Rod) in to help teach the class. So Monday I stripped the bed side of all its paint and primer. Today as a class exercise we metal prepped and epoxy primed the bed side. I got a few pics of Charley doing the metal prep. My daughter found it funny that now she can say that Charley Hutton helped with the body/paint on her truck!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Old77, 78C10BigTen and TerryRH like this.
  7. Paint guy

First Name:
    Glenn
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    R10
    Engine Size:
    Well it's now November and it is time to start on the truck. I haven't made great progress yet, but a start is a start no matter how fast it is. I was really hoping to get a huge leap forward on this in November, but I leave Monday for SEMA for the week. If any of you go feel free to stop into the PPG booth in Center Hall and try and find me to say hello as I will be working the booth. Once home from Vegas I have 24 hours to unpack, do laundry and then repack to leave for Syracuse NY for a work trip for another week away. See how short the month is getting?? Lol

In any case, I started removing all the junk sheet metal from the truck. The entire nose and bed sides are now at the dump in the metal pile. I got a new cowl induction hood and got it painted and bolted it in place really just to have somewhere to put it so it won't get damaged. I think the next steps will be to remove the bed and then start on the rockers/cab corners. Once those are done I can move onto fitting the fenders etc. I can't wait to really see some progress on this truck.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

HotRodPC, Catbox, Old77 and 2 others like this.
  8. 78C10BigTen

78C10BigTen Full Access Member

First Name:
    Ted
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C10 BIG TEN
    Engine Size:
    Im glued! I wish i had your resources

9. Snoots

Snoots Supporting Member Supporting Member

First Name:
    Roger
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Jimmy Sierra
    Engine Size:
    I like the 'no-rust' battery tray!

Catbox, DoubleDingo and 78C10BigTen like this.
  10. GXPWeasel

GXPWeasel Full Access Member

First Name:
    Greg
    Truck Year:
    1982 | 2015
    Truck Model:
    Sierra C15 | Silverado Z71
    Engine Size:
    5.0 | 5.3
    This is going to be a sweet build!
    I can't wait to see it finished.

HotRodPC likes this.
  11. Paint guy

First Name:
    Glenn
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    R10
    Engine Size:
    Well it has been far too long since I got some work done on the truck. November was a crazy month for me. I worked SEMA in the PPG booth, got home and then had to turn right around and travel for work. Then the friday before Thanksgiving I has a surgery for a nasal problem I have been dealing with. Thankfully the month of December was better and I've gotten some work done. I am definitely behind where I wanted to be, par for the course I guess.

So here is where we stand. I got both bed sides replaced. All the bed bolts are now out and the bed is ready to come off finally. This is an important step to moving forward with the project.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I brought a bunch of parts to work to clean up and paint. The grill and headlight doors that are normally silver got sanded down and painted a pewter color. Also, painted the bowtie and the center trim the candy maroon that the roof is going to be painted. Might be hard to really see well, but the pewter is much nicer in my opinion than the factory silver.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While at it, the original taillights were pretty beat. I know I could have just replaced them. But I like using the original GM parts whenever possible. So I sanded them down, sprayed a raw plastic adhesion promotor down. The used a tinted candy red clear coat on them. I also took the original Silverado polished trim and prepped and painted them the same pewter as the grill.

[​IMG]

And while I was at it. I also prepped and painted the silver band that goes on the tailgate as well as the trim that goes around the cab. I know some, or all of you will not like this as maybe I have strayed too far from original. But, my trim pieces were dull as hell. I didn't want to replace them as I have other places to spend the money. So for a different look I prepped and painted them the pewter and candy maroon color for a completely One Off look.

I'm curious on your thoughts here. Not that I'll change it because I am happy. But over all do you like the look or hate it?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally a before and after.....
    [​IMG]

Catbox, Old77, ajdemello and 9 others like this.
  12. DoubleDingo

DoubleDingo Vacuum Leaks, The Root Of All Evil

First Name:
    Shane
    Truck Year:
    1981, 1965
    Truck Model:
    81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
    Engine Size:
    Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
    Excellent!

Paint guy likes this.
  13. RoryH19

RoryH19 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Rory
    Truck Year:
    1987, 1982, 1983
    Truck Model:
    R10 Silverado SWB, K5 Silverado Blazer, K5 Silverado Blazer
    Engine Size:
    350 TBI, LS Swap 6.0, 350 carb
    Looking good.
    Will you completely blow it apart to paint?

Paint guy likes this.
  14. 78C10BigTen

78C10BigTen Full Access Member

First Name:
    Ted
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C10 BIG TEN
    Engine Size:
    Its interesting, never seen one like it. Crazy idea for the tail lights! I never woulda thought of that!

Paint guy likes this.
  15. Paint guy

First Name:
    Glenn
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    R10
    Engine Size:

Thanks!!

I paint all vehicle in pieces. I hate tape lines in door jambs etc. I only painted these now as it was something quick to do now while I am waiting on a group of friends to come help me pull the bed so I can start the next steps of the rebuild.

Catbox, Snoots, RoryH19 and 1 other person like this.