1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Her toy, round two.....

Discussion in '2wd Pick-Ups C10 C1500 R10 R1500' started by Paint guy, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Paint guy

Paint guy Junior Member

First Name:
    Glenn
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    R10
    Engine Size:
    Hello all,

So this will be the start of my project thread. So I thought I would bring everyone up to speed as to who I am and what I am doing. Starting with my introduction a while ago:

https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/new-from-ct.18027/

Then there is this thread where I posted about my other two toys.

https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/my-pair.26490/#post-504540

Now the blue Maverick in the post above was to be for my daughter Hannah. But being a hot rodder things got out of control and she doesn't want it any more. Not a bad thing, I now have two toys! Besides that, her interests have changed since I first started the Mac so many years ago. For the past 3-4 years all she talks about is classic trucks, and specifically squarebodies. So I have been on the hunt for one, but am not able to spend too much money. Her older sister is in collage at $70k a year, and she starts senior year of high school next week and is already set to start applying to colleges herself. So running out and dropping $10-15k for a nice rust free truck isn't going to happen.

Besides, why do that when she has a dad that has spent his career in the restoration/collision industry and can build one for her? So about 3 weeks ago a coworker told me about his neighbors 87 R10. The original owner passed away about 2.5 years ago and the truck has been sitting under a tree ever since. The widow decided it was time to clean out the driveway. So with a new battery and some starting fluid it fired right up! It's a 305/700R4 truck, Silverado so it has power everything, black with maroon interior. It certainly has its share of rust, but it came with a perfect rust free and super straight hood and front fenders. Floors and cab mounts are rock solid, but it needs the typical inner and outer rockers and cab corners. Also some rust in the bed quarters, but the floor and supports are perfect. There must have been a bedlinen in this truck as the floor barely has a dent in it.

So on the sly, I got the truck home and in my backyard garage yesterday while she was at work. We knew exactly when she was coming home, so my wife, older daughter and I stood in the garage and when she rolled down the driveway I hit the button and the overhead door went up to surprise her. She almost started crying when she saw the truck she was so happy! It was everything we were hoping for in a surprise!!

So here are a couple before and after pictures of the truck. Having been sitting for so long under a tree it was disgusting and took me 4.5 hours of scrubbing to get it clean. This was all done at work before bringing it home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hannah checking out her new/old truck!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Me showing her some of the details and things about the truck......

[​IMG]

So a few weeks ago I sprayed this panel to show her. She LOVES two tone trucks, to her they look more classic. So this is the paint scheme it will have. Obviously this isn't exactly like what GM did, but I was being quick and not trying to replicate anything. The maroon here is a color I made up a couple years ago for a friends hot rod but we ended up going a different route. So this color only exists in my head and has never been on a vehicle. Being this truck has the maroon interior I figure this is finally the time to use it. She LOVED it when she saw it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So first of all is to rebuild all the suspension and mechanics. It doesn't matter how goor they look if they don't run and stop right. I will be lowering it, but not too much. I'm thinking a 3.5 front and 4 rear is good enough. I want this to be very very drivable for her. New wheels and tires of course. Then fix up the body and paint. I hope to have all this done by about April 1st so as our New England weather gets decent she can start driving it and finish her school year with it.

So feel free to follow along. Also offer up any pointers where I may be doing something wrong, or whatever.

Thanks,

Glenn

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    81Bart, TerryRH, Snoots and 2 others like this.
  2. K201979

K201979 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Hippie
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K20
    Engine Size:
    350ci
    Great story, good luck on the build. Looking at your other stuff, im sure it will be beautiful. Cant wait to see it!

3. shanegtr

shanegtr Full Access Member

First Name:
    Shane
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    R2500 Suburban
    Engine Size:
    That's going to look killer once sprayed! And its awesome to see young ladies getting involved in the hobby. I can only hope to rub of my automotive enthusiasm to my daughter (and my boys as well :D)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    78C10BigTen likes this.
  4. TerryRH

TerryRH Full Access Member

First Name:
    Terry
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    R10
    Engine Size:
    350ci
    Be careful, you may just find mine in your garage for a spraying lol. Great find and that is going to be amazing!

5. 1973c10

1973c10 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Don
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C10
    Engine Size:
    :favorites13:

6. Paint guy

Paint guy Junior Member

First Name:
    Glenn
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    R10
    Engine Size:
    So for right now the truck is sitting while I do my research on what parts I need/want and make a plan for the rebuild. One of the things I need are bed sides as mine are rotted badly. Last week while searching CL I found a pretty good left bed side with a few dents but no rot.

At work (PPG) we run a Restoration classes. This week we are running one and have friend Charley Hutton (does everyone know who he is from the Boyd Coddington show American Hot Rod) in to help teach the class. So Monday I stripped the bed side of all its paint and primer. Today as a class exercise we metal prepped and epoxy primed the bed side. I got a few pics of Charley doing the metal prep. My daughter found it funny that now she can say that Charley Hutton helped with the body/paint on her truck!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TerryRH likes this.