Help with wipers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5akman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I drive my 1988 K5 from CA to AK in two weeks and thought I'd check the wipers before my wife and I pulled out of the driveway! They cycled 90 degrees and froze up solid, no movement whatsoever. I replaced the motor which helped but the wipers won't " park" and the delay/washer doesnt work either. I then purchased a new wand and "in column" wiring harness/switch which made the wipers work fine in slow/fast and operate the wash pump but still no delay. I then bypassed the module under the dash by plugging in the male/female connector and no change in the delay or park.

So, I'm now into this fix 55.00 for the new motor, 45.00 for the wand and 130.00 for the harness/switch. I see that the delay module is around 90.00. Do I buy it or is there another relay somewhere to check?

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
You can bypass the delay module by unplugging the connectors on the module on both sides then plugging the connectors together. The wipers should work fine, minus the delay function.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Nope. You've covered it well. Just hunt the boneyards for a used one. MAYBE it will be good. 90 bucks is about top dollar for a new one (if you can find one).
I haven't seen any replacement for it anywhere.
There is no other 'relay' as you mentioned.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
What years does the delay module cover???

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
85 to 99 chevy and gmc truck / suv.

Johnathan S

Reaction score
First Name
Johnathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Im kinda having the same problem, my wipers are really slow they either work and take about a minute for a full cycle or dont move at all. I replaced the motor with a new one and it helped a little but im still having the same problem. I notice that when I hook a jump wire from the fender into the ground on the motor it works better. I thought about replacing the delay module but that's about another $60 for something that may or may not work. Other than that i'm at a dead end I dont feel like taking apart the steering column to get to replace the switch if that's the problem.

5akman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Im kinda having the same problem, my wipers are really slow they either work and take about a minute for a full cycle or dont move at all. I replaced the motor with a new one and it helped a little but im still having the same problem. I notice that when I hook a jump wire from the fender into the ground on the motor it works better. I thought about replacing the delay module but that's about another $60 for something that may or may not work. Other than that i'm at a dead end I dont feel like taking apart the steering column to get to replace the switch if that's the problem.
Did you transfer the ground strap from the old motor to the new one? It would probably be painted black and go across the edge.of the motor from bolt holes to bolt holes. I have great wipers now with good speed but no delay at all. I even tried a new delay module with no luck.

Johnathan S

Reaction score
First Name
Johnathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Did you transfer the ground strap from the old motor to the new one? It would probably be painted black and go across the edge.of the motor from bolt holes to bolt holes. I have great wipers now with good speed but no delay at all. I even tried a new delay module with no luck.
You know I didn’t, the old ground strap is till hanging from the fire wall so that might be it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigRed82k20