Help with brake hoses

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MovinMav83

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 Silverado
Engine Size
I'm pretty sure the reason my truck pulls to the left when braking hard is the old brake hose needs to be changed. This is the one where the metal brake line goes through the frame when it attaches to the rubber hose on the other side. I'm afraid of stripping the small nut on the metal line, because it's small and hard to get a wrench on. Wondering if anyone else has encountered this?. I've seen videos where guys had to eventually get vice grips to get the thing loose. Any advice would be useful. Or, is this something I should just go pay someone to change for me? Thanks

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Mine came right off. I needed to replace them to account for my lift. If you DO strip the nut, you can always just cut the line off right behind the small nut, get a new nut and flare the tubing for the new nut before installing the new line. Make sure you use a tubing wrench and you should have no issues though.

A whole set is only $15 at harbor freight. https://www.harborfreight.com/double-end-sae-flare-nut-wrench-set-5-pc-68865.html

MovinMav83

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 Silverado
Engine Size
Wow, those flare nut wrenches look perfect. I'll go get some. Do you think I'll need SAE or Metric for my 86 c10?

Maybe I'll get both since they aren't expensive.

And thanks for the help!!

Last edited:

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Wow, those flare nut wrenches look perfect. I'll go get some. Do you think I'll need SAE or Metric for my 86 c10?

Maybe I'll get both since they aren't expensive.

And thanks for the help!!

I would expect it to be SAE. I know the thread on some parts shifted to metric in the later years(PS gearbox being one), but the nut size remained SAE I think for everything. You should be using this style wrench for all flare style fittings anyways, so I recommend you get a set of both the SAE and Metric

MovinMav83

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 Silverado
Engine Size
Sounds good, I'll do that. If nothing else, I can use the metric ones on my Honda.
Thank you!

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I changed mine.Twisted the line off,cut and double flared it but use a new replacement steel line also.Painful to cut and flare right at the frame as I did.But cuts and scrapes are a sign of good character I guess...

tadslc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I understand this is an old thread but I need to add the I would never use Harbor Freight or any other cheap-ass flare nut wrenches on any brake lines. Bite the bullet and go with top of the line wrenches for this application. Snap-On, SK, MAC, Hazet and Proto are all built to much higher tolerances and at least for me give me much more peace of mind.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I understand this is an old thread but I need to add the I would never use Harbor Freight or any other cheap-ass flare nut wrenches on any brake lines. Bite the bullet and go with top of the line wrenches for this application. Snap-On, SK, MAC, Hazet and Proto are all built to much higher tolerances and at least for me give me much more peace of mind.
I had a stanley set and the 14mm literally "opened" the first time using it and the 13mm isnt seemingly that proper size wise. they were combo so 2 of like 4/5 wrenches then were junk. lol. (13 and 11, 12 and 14 share a wrench)

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Buy a cheap tool,pay for it twice.Buy a quality tool,pay for it once.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Except most of them are made in the same factory in china now whether you pay for the "quality" tool or not. Harbor freight quality has really come a very long way in the last 10 years. Coincidentally, in the same time frame, most of the "quality" tool brands have really gone down hill. I've had a harbor freight set of line wrenches since AT LEAST 2008 and have abused the heck out of them with zero issues. I also have a bunch of snap-on, mac. and craftsman stuff and if you don't have access to one of their trucks regularly, the warranty really doesn't do you any good anyways.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Good to hear anout something at HB that is made well.Off brand flarenut wrenches I bought at an auto parts store years ago, the jaws just flare out and slip on the fastener unless it's loose enough to break loose with a standard wrench. I use vise grips or something to break a fitting loose,then use the flare wrench to unscrew it.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Coat the crap out of the connection with a liquid wrench.

You must be registered for see images attach

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
PB blaster seems to work well for me. It'll stop about any seizure...maybe epileptic too. lol..A friend got a 100 year old corn grinder un seized once.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
PB blaster seems to work well for me. It'll stop about any seizure...maybe epileptic too. lol..A friend got a 100 year old corn grinder un seized once.
I shall call you... "Mr. One UPPER" LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128