Help! What the hell am I supposed to?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjester6000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

I recently swapped the transmission in my 1995 Chevrolet Suburban from a blown up 4l60e to a th350.

Everything bolted up fine (Th350 with the 9 in tail housing) but I obviously couldn't get the speedometer working since it was mechanical while my Burb needs an electronic one.

I decided to swap the tailshaft, speedsensor, and reluctor ring over in order to get it working, but I've run into a but of a problem after pulling the tailhousing off.

What the hell is this thing in the way of me putting the reluctor ring on?

What the hell am I supposed to do now?

Any way to take it off?

Cut it off the shaft?

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
looks like some type of bushing. Try tapping on the back of it toward the end of the shaft with a small hammer. Maybe it will slide off :shrug:

jjester6000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
looks like some type of bushing. Try tapping on the back of it toward the end of the shaft with a small hammer. Maybe it will slide off :shrug:

I got all worked up for nothing, a few good hits and it seemed to come a bit loose, and I eventually got it off after half an hour of fenageling.

Thanks for the sugguestion.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
That’s a sleeve that slips over the yoke. If you look inside you will find a large o-ring, and most likely a weep hole in the yoke.

I hate to tell you this, but your setting yourself up for major disappointments. That transmission you removed isn’t a 4L60, it’s a 4L60E. The green round connector clearly identifies it. The PCM is going to go absolutely nuts wondering why it’s not reading shift solenoid, line pressure info, torque converter clutch apply/release, countless trouble codes and drivability issues. Not to mention the loss of low end acceleration caused by the higher 1st gear ratio.

you can use the 350 if you can find someone who can rework the tune in the PCM. Personally, I think you would be time and money ahead fixing whatever is wrong with the 4L60E and reinstalling it.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
  1. You must be registered for see images attach
    This is the transmission harness connector. A standard 4L60 will have a TV cable instead of this connector.

jjester6000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
That’s a sleeve that slips over the yoke. If you look inside you will find a large o-ring, and most likely a weep hole in the yoke.

I hate to tell you this, but your setting yourself up for major disappointments. That transmission you removed isn’t a 4L60, it’s a 4L60E. The green round connector clearly identifies it. The PCM is going to go absolutely nuts wondering why it’s not reading shift solenoid, line pressure info, torque converter clutch apply/release, countless trouble codes and drivability issues. Not to mention the loss of low end acceleration caused by the higher 1st gear ratio.

you can use the 350 if you can find someone who can rework the tune in the PCM. Personally, I think you would be time and money ahead fixing whatever is wrong with the 4L60E and reinstalling it.
I knew it was a 4l60e, and I already did the swap about a month ago.

It runs perfectly fine, and I don't even have a check engine light.

jjester6000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
  1. You must be registered for see images attach
    This is the transmission harness connector. A standard 4L60 will have a TV cable instead of this connector.
I hooked up the TV cable and it shifts fine, as well as downshifts. The engine runs good and is totally driveable (it is my daily driver).

With the 3.42 gears in the in the rear, it also goes on the interstate fine without OD.

jjester6000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
I'm actually getting ready to sell the truck, and I just wanted it to have a working speedometer before I do.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Does the check engine light work???

I’m not going to argue, if you say it works i believe you. I just don’t understand how the PCM doesn’t have a bunch of trouble codes stored in it.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Burnt out SES?

THAT would be funny!
Nah, damn things will burn 20 years straight and never burn out. You’ll burn out everything else three times over before you’d be lucky enough to burn out the SES light.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Delete

jjester6000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
Does the check engine light work???

I’m not going to argue, if you say it works i believe you. I just don’t understand how the PCM doesn’t have a bunch of trouble codes stored in it.

Honestly, I don't understand either. It might be because I wired the neutral saftey switch to be in neutral at all times so the truck would start. Since it thinks it's in neutral, it doesn't care what's going on with the Trans.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
^ If that works wiring the nss switch, that’s a great hack!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rons59