Help stop theft 87 V10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheGolem

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Hello,
I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question, but Our trucks seem easy to steal. I have a 1987 V10 suburban, and My question is; is it possible to change out the locks, and ignition to something with a lot more variation? Or what is the easiest kill-switch to hook up for a beginner? I've never really wired anything but lights, and don't want to burn my truck down! If you have an even better Idea than the two I have, PLEASE share them! I'm scared to take it to work, or leave it unattended for too long......

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Well, since you have an '87, you have a couple of ways to go about it. If your truck still has the tbi fuel i jection, you could run a hidden kill switch to the fuel pump. The other option is a kill switch for the starter. Both for double protection.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
I would suggest purchasing the big red steering column lock http://simjack.com:8185/, as a visual deterrent, and then a hidden kill switch of some sort.

My brother had his '89 Blazer stolen from a nice hotel parking lot, while we were about 100yds away, with our 2 vintage cars entered in a car show in their parking lot. We'd been using the Blazer as suitcase and cooler storage all day, and had gone back and forth to it, several times, including a run to grab some lunch....and that was the last time it was seen (when we got back from lunch). LA County Sheriffs found it 3 days later, in Compton, CA, gutted down to bare metal, engine and entire front clip missing, sitting on a different set of wheels.....with a trail of ATF leading up the street and into the driveway of the house full of blacks who had stolen and stripped it. All of our belongings were there, in the house, including the child safety seat that my daughter used.

This Blazer was all original, and looked like it'd just rolled off the lot. What was left of it brought tears to my eyes.

TheGolem

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Well, since you have an '87, you have a couple of ways to go about it. If your truck still has the tbi fuel i jection, you could run a hidden kill switch to the fuel pump. The other option is a kill switch for the starter. Both for double protection.

Do you have any advice to share on how to hook up a Killswitch? Im clueless, and wary of messing with wiring in a 30 year old vehicle.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
You would need to look up the wire schematic, find either the power or ground and put a switch in line. Make sure the switch is rated for the correct amperage if you interrupt the power supply side.

TheGolem

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I would suggest purchasing the big red steering column lock http://simjack.com:8185/, as a visual deterrent, and then a hidden kill switch of some sort.

My brother had his '89 Blazer stolen from a nice hotel parking lot, while we were about 100yds away, with our 2 vintage cars entered in a car show in their parking lot. We'd been using the Blazer as suitcase and cooler storage all day, and had gone back and forth to it, several times, including a run to grab some lunch....and that was the last time it was seen (when we got back from lunch). LA County Sheriffs found it 3 days later, in Compton, CA, gutted down to bare metal, engine and entire front clip missing, sitting on a different set of wheels.....with a trail of ATF leading up the street and into the driveway of the house full of blacks who had stolen and stripped it. All of our belongings were there, in the house, including the child safety seat that my daughter used.

This Blazer was all original, and looked like it'd just rolled off the lot. What was left of it brought tears to my eyes.

that pisses me off, people like that ought to have a special place in hell. you work hard for something, and someone else steals your stuff.:gr_guns: Im black actually, and live in a nice area, HOWEVER, people around here have lawn services come to maintain their yards (us included)... read between the lines, and you may see my concern. That column lock is a good idea, but do you have (or know of) a write up on killswitches for these trucks specifically?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size

That absolutely infuriates me. Like, I would be so livid if that happened to me that I don't know what I'd do.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I had one in mine, it simply interrupted the crank signal from the ignition switch. it was a 1/4 audio jack with a jumper plug you removed when you didn't want it to start. I used to bait my buddies by leaving the keys in but pulling the plug out. then it wouldn't start and I would claim there was an issue and send them walking for help. I would give them a few minuets of walking then go get them. LOL!

TheGolem

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I had one in mine, it simply interrupted the crank signal from the ignition switch. it was a 1/4 audio jack with a jumper plug you removed when you didn't want it to start. I used to bait my buddies by leaving the keys in but pulling the plug out. then it wouldn't start and I would claim there was an issue and send them walking for help. I would give them a few minuets of walking then go get them. LOL!

ELABORATE PLEASE! If it's how I'm picturing, than its simple, but brilliant!

TheGolem

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
You would need to look up the wire schematic, find either the power or ground and put a switch in line. Make sure the switch is rated for the correct amperage if you interrupt the power supply side.
It's that easy?

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Pretty much. All you're doing is stopping the flow of power.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
It was very simple. It was like a 1/4" stereo jack mounted in the panel below the column. The piece that went into it was solid brass unlike a 1/4" stereo plug and it would complete the circuit that sent power from the ignition switch on the column to the starter. The wire was simply cut and this was wired in series in that lead. I had one of those quick release key chain things so I could separate it from the keys, insert it and off I would go. If I remember I will post up a pic of it as it's not currently installed.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
now that I think about it, my older brother had a keypad that would lock out the starter that he had installed on his '83 when he bought it new. I've never seen another one like it.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
The thing I like about that steering column lock is that it's huge and bold......the hope being that the POS who's about to steal your rig will see it before bashing out a window or doing other damage, and just move on to a more opportune target.

IMO, just hiding an interrupt of some sort, somewhere, still "allows" the POS who's intent on taking your rig, to break in, destroy the ignition lock so it can be twisted, and only then would he find out the truck won't start. So yes, you keep your truck, but there's a bunch of damage to fix. My hope is that the column lock avoids all this.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8