help me identify these 8 lugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Vortec 383, modified TBI/4L80e
The 3/4 ton '97 burb I recently bought for it's later 4L80e and various other parts has three (and only three) of these 8 lug, 8 hole, 16x8 rims that I kind of like and may want to use on my '91 burb. There are a few issues that need to be solved first though, like getting the fourth one. Any help in identifying? There was a CPC marking on the back - I googled and may have found some stuff, but it's not clear. They obviously don't have a big online presence. No luck on eBay either.

You must be registered for see images attach

Other issues I'd need to resolve:

- the white corrosion spots that are present on all three wheels. All I've tried is water and Simple Green so far. I imagine with some aluminum cleaner and elbow grease I can get them clean?

- the corroded chrome center caps. I may be OK without any, I kind of like that look since I have a big hub 10 bolt and FF 14 bolt. Otherwise I think could get new ones for the rear and open ones for the front (manual hubs)

- PSI limitation. My door jam sticker on my '91 says 75 psi max for the back, but there's a PSI limit marker on the back of these - 60 psi. Not sure that would be an issue. I don't tow or haul weights that require that kind of pressure, I usually run the back at 60 anyway.

- whether or not I want to get rid of my GMT 800? era black steelies. I've never minded them and they painted up pretty nice, but I've looked here and there for period correct aluminum rims that I like.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Eagle and American Racing were the two most popular manufacturers of those wheels. They are like the slotted mag of the late 90's and 00's.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
These ones are the 5-lug equivalent. They are Eagle Alloys brand. I believe they were called "589".

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yes, they would look much better than the GMT wheels. Hope you can find a forth. Try using some Mother's aluminum polish to clean your rims.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
I really like those wheels in the first pic.
Kinda look like my factory wheels on my suburban.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
That's funny, I also bought a 1997 K2500 Suburban to get the engine and 4L80E out for a swap and it ALSO only has 3 nice rims very similar to those. The 4th is a standard steelie that must have been the spare. Somehow I hadn't noticed when I bought it. Was yours a 350 or did you get the L29 454 also?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You must be registered for see images

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
^ ??

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I have American Racing AR172 Baja which are similar. They are not clear coated like the Outlaw II shown in Post #7. I don't think they are AR wheels or at least the current version. The area around my lugs is not flat. This is a picture of Frankenchevy's 16x8 AR-172 wheel.

I believe they are Eagle Alloys #058. Unfortunately, they have been discontinued, but it gives you a place to start looking.

Frankenchevy AR-172

Eagle Alloy 058

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
That's funny, I also bought a 1997 K2500 Suburban to get the engine and 4L80E out for a swap and it ALSO only has 3 nice rims very similar to those. The 4th is a standard steelie that must have been the spare. Somehow I hadn't noticed when I bought it. Was yours a 350 or did you get the L29 454 also?

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
That is funny, sounds very familiar. Yep, pretty sure the steelie on mine was the spare, too. I bought mine at auction, sight unseen. When I picked it up I was excited because there was a tire in the back, thought it was going to be the fourth. Nope - no rim at all, just a tire.

It's a 350. In some ways it's good. If it was a 454 I'd be tempted to rebuild it and use it in the '91 - I'd spend a lot of $$ to do that, but I've already invested so much in the 383 that I'm running now. But....I may end up using some of the induction system on my motor. It would basically end up being a cross between TBI and SEFI, or TBI with 8 injectors instead of 2. Sounds crazy, I know, but it's been done and works. That's long range though - for now it's getting that 4L80e fixed up and installed.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
These ones are the 5-lug equivalent. They are Eagle Alloys brand. I believe they were called "589".

Yeah, those look pretty close. I may start hunting around for one. The problem will be finding 16x8 with 8x6.5 bolt pattern. Any knowledge of the "CPC" marking that I'm seeing on the back? I've searched on that and I'm coming up with a CPC 580. Maybe connected with (or the same thing) as Eagle? They show up on that search too.

I have American Racing AR172 Baja which are similar. They are not clear coated like the Outlaw II shown in Post #7. I don't think they are AR wheels or at least the current version. The area around my lugs is not flat. This is a picture of Frankenchevy's 16x8 AR-172 wheel.

I believe they are Eagle Alloys #058. Unfortunately, they have been discontinued, but it gives you a place to start looking.

Frankenchevy AR-172

Eagle Alloy 058

Yeah, I agree they're different from ARE wheels, but they do seem pretty close to the Eagle 058. Not sure on the differences between these and what Bucket posted (Eagle 589) they both look pretty close to me. Just have to start hunting now I guess.

Thanks to all for the posts. Any other ideas where to look for one, used, fairly obscure wheel?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yeah, those look pretty close. I may start hunting around for one. The problem will be finding 16x8 with 8x6.5 bolt pattern. Any knowledge of the "CPC" marking that I'm seeing on the back? I've searched on that and I'm coming up with a CPC 580. Maybe connected with (or the same thing) as Eagle? They show up on that search too.

Yeah, I agree they're different from ARE wheels, but they do seem pretty close to the Eagle 058. Not sure on the differences between these and what Bucket posted (Eagle 589) they both look pretty close to me. Just have to start hunting now I guess.

Thanks to all for the posts. Any other ideas where to look for one, used, fairly obscure wheel?

I was remembering the wrong model number. "058" sounds more correct.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
I was remembering the wrong model number. "058" sounds more correct.

Yeah, I've actually found some more markings on the wheels. There's an "AEWC" so we're definitely on the right track with them being Eagles. Also found a "580" somewhere. So the 058 is pretty close, but a google search of 058 Eagle wheels also brings up 589s so who knows.

The plan to use the three wheels and find a fourth for my '91 has another complication. I think the clear coat or polish is shot on the three. The spots shown in my pics do not scrub off. I've used different cleaners and polishes to no effect. Bummer. What's the remedy? Get them professional polished and re-clearcoated?

Also would you guys be concerned about the 60 psi max rating for these rims? I'm assuming that's due to the porosity of the aluminum? As I stated above the door jam sticker on my burb allows up to 75 psi for the back. My tires allow that too.

Also, still looking for any/all suggestions about how to find the fourth wheel. I agree that they were commonplace in the 90s and early 2000s so there should still be a lot of them around. Just need to figure out how to find.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've done a backyard refurb on many GM aluminum wheels that are machined and clear coated. I use a specific aerosol paint stripper that removes the clearcoat and generally doesn't ruin any painted surfaces under the clearcoat (like an IROC wheel as an example) and then I just polish the bare machined aluminum with Mother's. They normally turn out great considering the cost involved, but it is a lot of tedious labor.

I just went to post a link to the stuff, apparently it's been discontinued. It's called "Aircraft Peeler" and was made by Klean Strip. The stuff was called simply "Peeler" before that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes