Help me decide on carpet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OkieFishMan

Certified Camping and Fishing Nut
Reaction score
First Name
OkieFishMan
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C2500
Engine Size
454/SM465
I'm fixing to begin the build on the truck in my sig, but I have a question and hope some of you all can answer it.

I'm fixing to order new carpet, ACC Essex Super Plush in Midnight Blue, but is it worth the money to get it with mass backing???

I will be putting down Noico sound deadener throughout the cab, so is mass backing just a waste at that point???

Thoughts and opinions needed.

Thanks!

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
My first thought was "why doesn't anybody install ASTROTURF?"

My second thought after re-reading was "yeah, I guess that DOES seem like a waste (of money) and old boy would probably be lucky if it even FIT!" and then I was thinking specifically about the door jambs.

Good luck!

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
^^^Agreed. Auto Custom Carpet is a great brand, though. Their carpets are made in Georgia and Alabama.

Sublime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
m
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
^^^Agreed. Auto Custom Carpet is a great brand, though. Their carpets are made in Georgia and Alabama.

I just installed an auto custom carpet with mass backing. It fit well, the noise and heat reduction was noticeable

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
Just curious, have you thought of rubber or vinyl instead of carpet? Did vinyl to my Dodge a few years ago and turned out great. I'm always trying to keep the carpet clean (have dogs and kids, which unless you duct tape 'em, have a constant mess following them) so thought I would try vinyl. It was preformed, had to make the holes for the seat bolts and the 4x4 shifter then trim slightly at the sills, then let it sit in the truck for a few days in the sun to get it good and hot to form best. Now I can just rinse stuff right out the door, lol. Thinking of trying the rubber type on my 86 K20 as the next interior upgrade. Found them here.
http://www.stockinteriors.com/moldedvinyl.asp?Itemid=13124&MakeId=31&ModelId=88

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
Ok, Im going to bring this back from "earlier this year dead" as to not start another thread ( I have done about 3 hours of searching for threads on carpet).

A. @OkieFishMan did you go with this carpet?
2. What about ACC Molded cutpile complete carpets? They are sold by 1A, a vendor on here that I have seen great reviews about.
circle. I know other places have carpet, like LMC. LMC is a little more money than 1A. But LMC doesnt say who their vendor is. LMC's description says they have jute pad, which, based on other threads, some people have decided not to run jute pad because of moister/rust issues.
.. I plan on putting down dynomat-esk stuff and then some thermo stuff under the carpet (just putting that out there for what y'all suggest).
Lastly, Ill take any and all suggestions. I plan on keeping the interior the what I assume is factory beige or close to it. Is there someone else I should look at? What are your reviews on what you have purchased? I plan on buying something molded. I have done bulk carpet in my buddy's chevelle and F that noise. Especially when companies just make molded stuff.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Agree 100% on molded carpet vs bulk and agree on not doing the jute backing dyna mat or any other similar is the way to go. If mine didn’t have carpet and it wouldn’t have cleaned up it would of gotten a rubber mat.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Should be fine buying through 1A Auto. I shopped around and got mine through eBay, and I think that was the best price at the time. I'd encourage you to do the same. I'd also check the price buying directly from them. Their website has other goodies like the carpeted door inserts, too. I'm sure you know already this, but get ready to do a little trimming when you get it, and use the old carpet as a template.

OkieFishMan

Certified Camping and Fishing Nut
Reaction score
First Name
OkieFishMan
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C2500
Engine Size
454/SM465
Ok, Im going to bring this back from "earlier this year dead" as to not start another thread ( I have done about 3 hours of searching for threads on carpet).

A. @OkieFishMan did you go with this carpet?
2. What about ACC Molded cutpile complete carpets? They are sold by 1A, a vendor on here that I have seen great reviews about.
circle. I know other places have carpet, like LMC. LMC is a little more money than 1A. But LMC doesnt say who their vendor is. LMC's description says they have jute pad, which, based on other threads, some people have decided not to run jute pad because of moister/rust issues.
.. I plan on putting down dynomat-esk stuff and then some thermo stuff under the carpet (just putting that out there for what y'all suggest).
Lastly, Ill take any and all suggestions. I plan on keeping the interior the what I assume is factory beige or close to it. Is there someone else I should look at? What are your reviews on what you have purchased? I plan on buying something molded. I have done bulk carpet in my buddy's chevelle and F that noise. Especially when companies just make molded stuff.
I actually ended up going with vinyl flooring that was made by ACC. It ended up pretty good, but I had to spend hours with a heat gun, and lots of trimming, and still didn't get it as good as I would have liked. Pre formed my ass! I have used carpet in the past and it always fit much better than this vinyl did.

As for the best price, JC Whitney carries the ACC stuff and a lot of times you can google up a 20% off coupon and get free shipping. Thats what I did to buy the vinyl flooring. And for sound deadener I used Noico. They make a heavy and a lite, I used the heavy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell