Help! Fuel tank delete?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gogo14910

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
350 SBC
87 Silverado: my pass fuel tank is never used. Yesterday it overflowed out of the filler hose while parked on a slope to pass side. I dropped the tank today and it was full of varnishy fuel. I cut the 3 hoses to the pump on that side. How can I just delete the tank? Fuel is dripping from big hose so I plugged it with a screw. When I crank the truck fuel is flowing from a smaller hose. How can I button this up? Thanks.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
You can remove the entire switching assembly by connecting the 3 hoses that go from the switch to the engine compartment to the three corosponding hoses that go to the tank you want to keep.

gogo14910

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
350 SBC
You can remove the entire switching assembly by connecting the 3 hoses that go from the switch to the engine compartment to the three corosponding hoses that go to the tank you want to keep.
How do I cut and connect the 3 steel hoses on the crossmember coming from the tank, to the hoses going to the engine?

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
I would leave the steel lines and just add a length of rubber fuel line from them to the corrosponding hoseon the other side of the switching mechanism.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
How do I cut and connect the 3 steel hoses on the crossmember coming from the tank, to the hoses going to the engine?
You must be registered for see images attach

Since you have steel lines, if you ID your lines that are good, and you also ID what goes to the front, if you have short distance between them if you were to use a tubing cutter as close to the hose ends or whatever as possible, like, no more than a few feet(generous) then use fuel injection hose and fuel injection clamps. They are SAE-J30R9 for the hose (J30R10 for inside the fuel tank) and

this is what the clamps look like, its sold at the store as fuel injection clamp

Im
not sure if the lines can be done without a barb or not(flare) but If they are like this at all, where they would push into eachother, then you can safely not use one. but something like a long 90 degree bend should not be done like this (Since it would pop off or tend to kink, if you get the meaning)

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
You better drain out that gas from the tank. You are going through alot of unnecessary work to mess up your truck. Why not just fix it correctly? What is even the problem with the tank, or the switch?

gogo14910

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
350 SBC
You better drain out that gas from the tank. You are going through alot of unnecessary work to mess up your truck. Why not just fix it correctly? What is even the problem with the tank, or the switch?
The passenger, internal, electric fuel pump hadn’t worked since i got the truck. Never used that side but apparently the return kept going there. The fuel was varnish by the time it filled up(years) and it began to overflow. I didnt know it wold do that.

gogo14910

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
350 SBC

Since you have steel lines, if you ID your lines that are good, and you also ID what goes to the front, if you have short distance between them if you were to use a tubing cutter as close to the hose ends or whatever as possible, like, no more than a few feet(generous) then use fuel injection hose and fuel injection clamps. They are SAE-J30R9 for the hose (J30R10 for inside the fuel tank) and

this is what the clamps look like, its sold at the store as fuel injection clamp

Im
not sure if the lines can be done without a barb or not(flare) but If they are like this at all, where they would push into eachother, then you can safely not use one. but something like a long 90 degree bend should not be done like this (Since it would pop off or tend to kink, if you get the meaning)
Thank you, perfect!

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
The passenger, internal, electric fuel pump hadn’t worked since i got the truck. Never used that side but apparently the return kept going there. The fuel was varnish by the time it filled up(years) and it began to overflow. I didnt know it wold do that.
Just fix it, instead of messing up your truck. Much more of a long term solution.

gogo14910

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
350 SBC
If I delete the tank switching valve, will the fuel pump still have its own power? Or is that power delivered thru the adaptor plugged into the valve assembly?

Attachments

• 6FC4E19A-5F72-4E0E-ACAF-9E685FB308C9.jpeg
    6FC4E19A-5F72-4E0E-ACAF-9E685FB308C9.jpeg
    123.6 KB · Views: 44

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
If I delete the tank switching valve, will the fuel pump still have its own power? Or is that power delivered thru the adaptor plugged into the valve assembly?
That I do not know. My fuel pump is mechanical on the side of the block.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Your fuel pump connectors seal is sticking out of it.. i bet that thing is not working right because the pins are not all mating or corroded,. can you pull the valve and connector down and clean that up?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

i cant see the locking tab but its also possible its connected backwards as well on the electrical connector.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
it looks like the tank is selected by the 12 motor moving to which ever directed side, then the thing also swaps which gauge is on the dash, then the fuel is pushed by pump because it also flops the power for which pump is on.

gogo14910

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
350 SBC
it looks like the tank is selected by the 12 motor moving to which ever directed side, then the thing also swaps which gauge is on the dash, then the fuel is pushed by pump because it also flops the power for which pump is on.
Thanks for your help. I didnt know how to read all that but ultimately removed the tank selector valve and bypassed to only have my driver side tank connected. The internal fuel pump must have its own power source because It is running fine. Thank you for the diagram. I knew exactly which wires to cut and connect to make my fuel gauge work in the truck. I was the driver sending unit (pink/white) wire and the gauge wire (pink). Since they were all black from the years, they were wire 2 and 3. Everything is going well so far!

Attachments

• 2CA40C1E-BAB2-4646-AE84-7B3599132089.jpeg
    2CA40C1E-BAB2-4646-AE84-7B3599132089.jpeg
    129.8 KB · Views: 39

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell