HELP! 76 GMC c25 frame needs cab swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

383-GMC

Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC c25
Engine Size
Hello

I have started a project truck and I am at a stand still now. I have a 76 GMC c25 Sierra Grande. Lwb. I put all new suspension on it and cleaned up the frame. Its set up for street strip. When it came to the cab I had several opinions and all came back saying theres too much rust. I need to do a cab swap but dont know specifics on what's going to work. I can get an 81-83 k30 cab w/ or w/out front end for $1300. I know some people said for the 80 and up on a 70s frame I'd have to cut the bumper brackets but I'm not sure what there meaning. I didn't know what other issues I'd run into a well. I have some knowledge on vehicles but I've done everything through you tube. Please help and give guidance. I just need to find a cab and get this truck running.

383-GMC

Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC c25
Engine Size
I've also been told theres companys that have new cabs for sale but I cant find what there talking about.

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
USBody sells fiberglass noses, cabs, and beds

Kinda like buying a kit car.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
You need to get a more specific evaluation of what needs to be replaced on your cab. There are multiple sources for new fenders, hood, cab corners, doors and other parts of the cab. Fenders, hood and doors would not require welding, but you probably also have rust in the cab corners.

LMC truck, the Truck Shop, and Classic Industries all sell replacement body parts, although they are probably made in China. When I lived in San Antonio there was also a local place call Crash Parts, but it has since gone out of business.

Where are you located? If you are in the south to southwest there may be junkyards with relatively rust free cabs. If you are up North in the rust belt, most cabs probably more repairs than your original.

Bruce

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

Termite_Delight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
1976 1975
Truck Model
K2500 K2500
Engine Size
350 L33
I am rebuilding a 1976 GMC K2500 that needed a better cab. I found a 1986 cab and i'm in the middle of converting it to a 1976. There are several differences in the two cabs. Here are some pictures that may help you with your project.
You must be registered for see images attach

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
I have a titled cab for sale. Just like you I am located in the US.

383-GMC

Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC c25
Engine Size
USBody sells fiberglass noses, cabs, and beds

Kinda like buying a kit car.
That's nice but more than I'm looking to spend right now. That dream truck status

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

383-GMC

Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC c25
Engine Size
You need to get a more specific evaluation of what needs to be replaced on your cab. There are multiple sources for new fenders, hood, cab corners, doors and other parts of the cab. Fenders, hood and doors would not require welding, but you probably also have rust in the cab corners.

LMC truck, the Truck Shop, and Classic Industries all sell replacement body parts, although they are probably made in China. When I lived in San Antonio there was also a local place call Crash Parts, but it has since gone out of business.

Where are you located? If you are in the south to southwest there may be junkyards with relatively rust free cabs. If you are up North in the rust belt, most cabs probably more repairs than your original.

Bruce
I need full rockers they were originally done but it was the cover over and rivet kind. And I got rust in the cab behind the seats that they tried covering up and the whole fire wall is gone and a spot by the windshield and both door jams. And the list just keeps going. I'd would get parts from lmc but all the rust is in places that they dont sell. Plus I'm not paying 2k+ to fix this cab. I'd buy one first

383-GMC

Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC c25
Engine Size
I am rebuilding a 1976 GMC K2500 that needed a better cab. I found a 1986 cab and i'm in the middle of converting it to a 1976. There are several differences in the two cabs. Here are some pictures that may help you with your project.
For some reason I cant open the pictures but thanks for trying

383-GMC

Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC c25
Engine Size
I have a titled cab for sale. Just like you I am located in the US.
I'm in pa I'd travel alil but not crazy far

KingBee

Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hello

I have started a project truck and I am at a stand still now. I have a 76 GMC c25 Sierra Grande. Lwb. I put all new suspension on it and cleaned up the frame. Its set up for street strip. When it came to the cab I had several opinions and all came back saying theres too much rust. I need to do a cab swap but dont know specifics on what's going to work. I can get an 81-83 k30 cab w/ or w/out front end for $1300. I know some people said for the 80 and up on a 70s frame I'd have to cut the bumper brackets but I'm not sure what there meaning. I didn't know what other issues I'd run into a well. I have some knowledge on vehicles but I've done everything through you tube. Please help and give guidance. I just need to find a cab and get this truck running.

73-87 cabs are all pretty much the same. There are some minor differences that can easily be modified like where the later models the wiper arms come through the cowl and the earlier ones were tucked under the hood. All you have to do is swap out your wipers to fit kind of thing.

And then in the later models there are holes in the dash metal for speakers where the earlier did not. Very minor differences. I did a full cab swap on my truck but I had to cut the low hump out of the new cab and weld in a high hump being that I was putting a 2wd cab onto a 4wd truck. But even that was a 2 hour job and super easy

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I too, was thinkin about the transmission hump then out came Fergie.

Sorry, not sorry. :)
She's hot - enjoy!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg