HELP. 350 abc starter binding.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Simon

Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
350 SBC 5.7
Hello everyone!
Feels good to be back after a pretty long break. Summer is brutal in AZ and it’s just starting to cool down. ANYWAY so I’ve got an issue. I have a 1988 gmc suburban 2500 with a 350 sbc and th400. I always like to run the truck a couple times a week to keep up on it. Well about a month ago I started her up like normal, ran it around the neighborhood a few times then shut her down. The next day I come out to do it again and now she won’t start!! The starter keeps getting boud up in the flexplate so it is not kicking the motor over ordisengaging. I have checked the clearance using the drill bit method and it’s fine. If I check the clearance with the drill bit, should I also use the paper clip method to measure the contact point clearance as well??This is super odd to me because I can’t think of a variable that would cause this. One day it was starting and running fine, I didn’t do any work on it and then the next day it just craps out. Any help would be more than appreciated, thank you all.

potent rodent

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
butch
Truck Year
86 and 78
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 and 305
how is your batt , if it is low it will not not engage that would be the first thing to check , another quick check would be is turn head lights on and try and start eng if lights go real dim check your batt

Simon

Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
350 SBC 5.7
I’ve tested the battery, it’s at 12 so I think it’s okay. And the starter was bench tested at the auto store. Both the starter and the battery seem to be fine which makes this pretty weird to me.

Simon

Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
350 SBC 5.7
Anymore suggestions?

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
You had the starter bench tested. So I assume the starter is okay.

You tested the battery? Did you load test the battery, or just put a volt meter on and read 12 volts? A fully charged, 12V battery should read 12.75 volts to 13.25 volts.

Did you try to jump start with jumper cables to another running vehicle?

After all this has failed to start the engine, you need to do a voltage drop test on the battery cables. Take your volt meter and connect one lead to the battery positive terminal. Connect the other meter lead to the positive cable lead at the starter. Meter will read zero. Now turn the key and try to start the engine. If the meter reads higher than 1 volt, you have too much resistance in the battery cable.

If the positive cable is okay, check the ground cable the same way. One lead of the volt meter to each end of the ground cable.

Simon

Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
350 SBC 5.7
Thank you all. I’m on a mini vacation right now, I’ll have to take a look in a couple days. I’ll be sure to update

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Simon,
One mistake some people make is they replace the starter bolts with regular 3/8ths bolts. DON'T DO THAT. Use the knurled bolts that come with the new starter. Those knurls are there for a reason. They keep the starter mount centered on the block. And they also keep the starter from moving a bit when it starts cranking the engine. If you use a 3/8ths bolt it doesn't fit tight enough in the bolt hole and the starter will move just enough to bind on the flex plate. Put the knurled bolts in and then adjust the spacing and tighten it down and you won't have starter problems anymore.

Take those 3/8ths bolts and use them to for something else non automotive, not for starters.

M00SE

Reaction score
First Name
Moose
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
could the timing have moved? If the timing is out it can cause a massive pressure build in the engine and make it VERY hard to turn over. I would check to see if that distributer is loose at all. If its not loose, I would leave it and move onto maybe a new starter but first jumping the starter directly might tell you something. Bad gourds and back + connections would be reveled with a jump test.

moose

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Thank you all. I’m on a mini vacation right now, I’ll have to take a look in a couple days. I’ll be sure to update

If your square is ill, you shouldn't be on a vacation.
You must be registered for see images attach

Ethan Keuning

Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Your shimming might be off. Had this problem on my 87. Turned out it wasnt shimmed right.

Simon

Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
350 SBC 5.7
We almost got her running guys! Sorry for the long wait, but I got me some corona I had to take care of. Had to quarantine and I’m just feeling better now. Basically I just pulled off the starter and re checked the clearance (I do have the right bolts for it) I gave the battery a good charge, and sprayed some starting fluid in the carb and she turned over!! However now I’m dealing with a fuel sending issue. Not sure where to blockage is coming from. I’ve tried manually pouring about 24 milliliters of gas in the carburetor but for some reason it won’t run. I’ve been able to pull this off before, it’s just been about a year since I last did it so I’m not sure if I’m goofing something up. I’ll keep trying to fiddle with it today. Thank you everyone for the advice! You guys are the reason I’m still able to keep this thing running. I appreciate the wisdom more than you know!

Simon

Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
350 SBC 5.7
Just had to give her some more juice! 120 ML (60 in each) of gasoline manually inserted into the fuel bowl vents got her going. Now I’m working on the fuel blockage I’ve got. Not getting any gas to the carb :/

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I’ve tested the battery, it’s at 12 so I think it’s okay. And the starter was bench tested at the auto store. Both the starter and the battery seem to be fine which makes this pretty weird to me.
12. What? 12 is dead!

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
We almost got her running guys! Sorry for the long wait, but I got me some corona I had to take care of. Had to quarantine and I’m just feeling better now. Basically I just pulled off the starter and re checked the clearance (I do have the right bolts for it) I gave the battery a good charge, and sprayed some starting fluid in the carb and she turned over!! However now I’m dealing with a fuel sending issue. Not sure where to blockage is coming from. I’ve tried manually pouring about 24 milliliters of gas in the carburetor but for some reason it won’t run. I’ve been able to pull this off before, it’s just been about a year since I last did it so I’m not sure if I’m goofing something up. I’ll keep trying to fiddle with it today. Thank you everyone for the advice! You guys are the reason I’m still able to keep this thing running. I appreciate the wisdom more than you know!
Why "24 milliliters":33:o_O. Are you really that precise and measuring it? Haha if would fire on anything from a squirt to a flood of gas probably, don't really have to be that precise, give it enough to fire and not enough to hydrolock it. Your just checking that by you introducing fuel it will start.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84