Hella Sealed Beam Conversion & Harness Confusion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Merlin3e9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
5.7L
Hi everyone,

Question for all my fellow Squarebody owners. I am about to pull the trigger on a complete set of Hella sealed beam conversion lamps for my 87 R10, but I am a bit confused on which to buy. My truck has quad headlights.

Just need some clarification on which part numbers to replace my high & low beam headlights.

According to Hella's website, the following are the part numbers suggested:

- 4"x6" Rectangular Conversion Headlamp Kit, High/Low Beam (ECE) 003177801
- 4"x6" Rectangular Conversion Headlamp Kit, High Beam (ECE) 003177821

From what I can find, the High/Low beam kit (801) comes with an H4 bulb and the High beam (821) kit comes with an H1 bulb. Are these the two kits I require for my 87 R10?

With an H4 bulb having a dual filament, is this correct for a single low beam light? Is an H1 correct for high beam?

Lastly, I know an upgraded harness is strongly suggested, but I'm confused on which one to buy. I know the LMC brand is okay, and does the job, but what other quality harnesses are out there that won't break the bank? Also, are upgraded harnesses out there for an H4 low beam and H1 high beam? Do I need one or two harnesses?

All I'm finding are H4 upgraded harnesses. Can't find any H1 harnesses. Will an H4 harness adapter plug into an H1 bulb? Below is one example of a quad light H4 harness I've found, but it's pricey...

- https://www.painlessperformance.com/wc/30814

I also know a fellow forum member, gmachinz makes high quality harnesses for lighting upgrades.

Any advice is greatly appreciated,
Thanks
Jason

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
You can save a bit putting the harness together yourself if price is your biggest concern. Everything is available at Napa. You’ll need the four headlight plugs, about 30’ of primary wire(12ga should be plenty sufficient), water tight wire connectors, two 30 amp relays and relay socket/harness(optional, but recommended). I also recommend doing new turn signal sockets at the same time(Dorman pn 85830).
You must be registered for see images attach

You’ll dissect your old headlight sockets. Cut the spade connectors off the driver side leaving the crimped portion intact.

On my truck the low beam is tan and high beam is green. This will become your relay trigger. Then follow the wiring diagrams available on line for a four terminal relay. 85 is trigger, 86 is ground 87 is load(to headlights) and 30 is fused line (from battery positive).

It’s super easy and you can heat shrink everything nicely. It’ll be every bit as good if not better than any kit you can buy.

Merlin3e9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
5.7L
Okay, thanks. Understand what you're describing. The Hella kits I'm looking at says that plug adapters are included, which I interpret to mean that it'll adapt the H4/H1 base of the bulb to fit my factory wire harness.

If that's the case, would I still need to dissect my factory harness? Do I leave the passenger side alone?

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Okay, thanks. Understand what you're describing. The Hella kits I'm looking at says that plug adapters are included, which I interpret to mean that it'll adapt the H4/H1 base of the bulb to fit my factory wire harness.

If that's the case, would I still need to dissect my factory harness? Do I leave the passenger side alone?
The factory green an tan become the trigger for the relays.

The original low amp 12v source from your light switch becomes the signal that triggers the relay to close the switch between the line side(bat +) and the load side(new power wire to headlight sockets.

If you go the route I’m describing, you can forgo the “kit” and just buy the hella housings and appropriate bulbs. Then take your new bulbs to your favorite local auto parts store and they’ll help you find the right socket for your bulbs.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
How much are the harness kits you’re looking at?

It maybe better to go that route unless you’re the type that likes to get into that sort of thing.

I wasn’t taking into account my discounts at Napa. All in, I was under $40 for two headlight sockets, two ts/running light sockets, two relay bases, two relays and wire.

Merlin3e9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
5.7L
According to Hella's website, the two kits I referenced above come with adapter wires; however, when I look on Amazon and Summit racing adapter wires aren't mentioned. Regardless of if adapter wires come with the kit, I will still want a relay kit included so I can draw power straight from the battery.

I guess I could call Summit and ask if adapter wires come with the kit they sell. I'd like for the lights to be "plug & play" and then somehow wire in a relay for cleaner power somehow.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
If the harness is designed to work with the factory wiring in your truck, you’ll have to hack it no matter what. If it’s designed to work with a relay setup, you will at minimum be splicing into the old “load” side of the switch and running a ground. Not 100% plug and play.

The drawing only details one circuit, you’ll have two. One for high and one for low, but the detail will be the same. It’s super simplified but may help to illustrate the point.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I bought the Hellas for my truck. They do come with the adapters in the box, picture 1. As you can see in the second picture, it is an H4 on top for the low/high beam and an H1 on the bottom (high beam only). I had purchased an aftermarket harness (Octane Lighting off eBay) that I later found is wired wrong. I'll need to correct that. You only need one of your low beam plugs to trigger the relays for the aftermarket harness.

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yeah but having a new harness to match new HO lighting is like peanut butter and jelly tho.

poboy73

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1986 GMC
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Gmachinz are you still making the harnesses?

roundhouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
77,78,79,80 ?
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I did the H4 and the harness on my 76 and wow , it’s a huge difference

I did just the harness on 74 Bronco and it made a noticeable difference

Sorry I can’t help with your quad light question
But I’d just buy the harness unless you have plenty of spare time and no money

You’ll need a good soldering iron , shrink tubing and a heat gun or hair dryer and lots of good quality wire which is NOT available at auto parts stores
The wire at the stores is not very flexible

Merlin3e9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
5.7L
***UPDATE***

Hello everyone,

Thanks for all the advice and instructions on how to do this upgrade.

I tackled this upgrade this weekend and think it came out nice. All the wires are were soldered, heat shrunk, wrapped in wire loom and tucked away nicely.

Now I just need to take a night drive and make sure my new Hella conversions are aimed correctly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby 406