Hei?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve-o81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Hi, I’m building a replica of a medium duty 1970s 350 I used to have that came out of a bread truck. The motor I used to have maxed out in the mid range probably redlined at 4500rpm factory. It was all stock except for the carb and intake. It had an hei distributor factory. Would it be benificial to put a higher output hei on it? Would it help power within its 4500 rpm range or would it possibly hurt the engine?

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
A HEI distributor will run just fine to 6500 rpm, assuming the ignition module isn’t a cheap parts store replacement.

The first year or 2 of HEI production did have reliability issues, that problem was solved long ago. Unfortunately, the poor module reliability myth still hangs around.

It’s hard to beat the reliability of HEI. the timing doesn’t change (as points wear, the timing slowly changes) and for the most part the module with works or it doesn’t.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
I recommend trying to find AC Delco ignition module. I had 2 china modules that crapped out fairly quickly. Got AC Delco and has worked great since.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I'd like to second what has already been said and also to resay that the extra $$$ for the AC delco ignition module is well worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat