heater fan - always on?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

byproxy

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
350 V8
heater on my 73 works great. have both high and low speeds and heat and defrost.

problem is that the fan always runs. the "off" position doesn't actually turn the fan all the way off.

i'm assuming this isn't normal? presumably i'd need a new switch? just checking before i dig into the control unit. the guy i bought it from said it's always been that way and was assuming the fan just stayed on all the time in these trucks.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
IIRC, this will be an AC model truck right? It's more than likley the blower relay box under the hood on the AC Evaporator box not far from the fan motor. The Relay contacts are probably stuck and won't release. Sometimes using a screwdriver, tap on the little metal box and you'll hear the blower shut off.

Or, you can disconnect the battery for a minute. That shuts it's off, then you reconnect the battery and it stays off. Give that a try first. That is the most common reason for this problem.

attachment.php

You must be registered for see images attach

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
My 76 non-AC truck's fan is always on. Its an air circulation feature. Pretty sure the roundeyes always run, just mabey really slowly.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
My 76 non-AC truck's fan is always on. Its an air circulation feature. Pretty sure the roundeyes always run, just mabey really slowly.

And I have heard of something similar too and maybe that's the heat only units, or the older model? :shrug:

Also, some think cuz the fan switch is all the way down, that it's off. That IS NOT the off position for the fan. That is LOW. Off is the top slide switch all the way to the left where it says OFF. That also is the OFF position for the fan.

If his is doing what mine did, it's not running slow. It was running on high with the key off and me out of the truck. If I'm understanding that's what he's talking about.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

And now that you mention this, and I go back and reread what he's got here, I jumped to conclusions, and yep, it's probably normal. My bad !!! But for anyone who has a fan stay on high after you've shut the key off and get out, your problem is the relay I've made a photo of.

I'll be tagging this thread for future users.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
And now that you mention this, and I go back and reread what he's got here, I jumped to conclusions, and yep, it's probably normal. My bad !!! But for anyone who has a fan stay on high after you've shut the key off and get out, your problem is the relay I've made a photo of.

I'll be tagging this thread for future users.

:nutkick:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

:badidea: :chillpill: :adminpower: :ban:

Careful. Had a spammer really early this morning. I found the ban hammer, stretched the muscles a bit and warmed it up already today. :rofl:

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Easy fix for that is to push the upper tab down then plug the connector back in. This keeps the damn the damn blower from running all the time and burning up. Still works when you want it to and only then.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
:badidea: :chillpill: :adminpower: :ban:

Careful. Had a spammer really early this morning. I found the ban hammer, stretched the muscles a bit and warmed it up already today. :rofl:

:signs75: :STFU:
We are all just here to have fun,

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Easy fix for that is to push the upper tab down then plug the connector back in. This keeps the damn the damn blower from running all the time and burning up. Still works when you want it to and only then.

Now this here is the fan resistor for High Med Low. Not the relay. The relay is a small Tin covered rectangular box.

That part there is what's gone bad if all you have is Fan on High Speed and no low and/or medium speeds.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I don't mind the low speed fan...

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

Wait, so what are we bypassing here?

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Basically turning the constant blower off. That way it lasts longer and you dont have unwanted air coming out of yo ur vents until you turn it on

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ohh, ok. I guess I never noticed mine doing that.

My dang fan has Low and Medium, but no High.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The early years of the square body had the blower running to "Pressurize" the cabin to keep unwanted dust from leaqking in like it does with the pre 73 models.
I remember a guy I worked for many many years ago bought a brand spanking new 73 GMC and He complained about that and the dealer did a tech check and that is what was passed down.
SO,if You want unwanted dust settling into Your nice Chevy/GMC square bodies then shut offt the blower completely.
After I found out about this I now roll up all the windows and run the blower on high when traveling dirt roads.thats all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito