Headliner advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84chevk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I got everything to recover my headliner. I got a problem with the headliner board, for lack of a better term, it fell apart around where the sunvisors go through. All the rest is ok. I had to get some used trim, because mine was broke, and every used one I've found is the same way. Can I cover it and leave it long in the front and glue it to the roof? It's really close to where the front trim piece goes across, and after I trim out the visor holes they would also hold it. Anyone else had this problem?

Handy Andy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
sierra 1500
Engine Size
I had this same problem with mine when I recovered it a few weeks ago. What I ended up doing was I took some cardboard and worked it around, folded it up and flexed it every which way that I could. Once I had the rigidity of the cardboard worked out, I used some of the adhesive for the headliner to attach the cardboard to the back of the headliner board. The crappy part is you pretty much either have to stand there and hold the cardboard in place until it dries, or find a way to clamp it to the board. I used some wood clamps to hold it in place. Once the glue has set and the cardboard is good and stuck to the headliner backer, flip it all over and reattach the broken pieces from the corner of the headliner back to the cardboard using the adhesive previously used.

After I had it all in place and set up to dry I left it over night. I came back to it the next day and then I trimmed the excess cardboard from the edges and also out of the visor attaching hole( I think the cardboard could be left in there but I chose to remove it). After that I took and shaved some of the cardboard off with a utility knife blade. What I'm saying is that I made the cardboard only about 1/2 as thick as it was. I did this because I didn't want it to be too thick and create a ridge or have anything looking out of whack when I do reinstall it all in the truck. Once I had all that stuff done I went ahead and redid the headliner. It turned out pretty decent for my first attempt at it. When I get home I will post up some pics of how I did it if I can find them.

84chevk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Pics would be great, my problem is that I don't have pieces, it kinda went to dust. I think I can work it out, got to get my trim dyed and I'll attempt it.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
If your shell is too far gone, they do make ABS replacement headliner shells for about $180. If you want it precovered they are about $40 more. I purchased a precovered one for my '79. Installation was easy, I think I only had to clean it up a little around the sunvisor openings.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Where do you get the shells at?, gonna need one for mine..

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Here's a few options:
Classic Parts of America $180 bare, $220 covered
Truck and Car Shop $229 covered only
Classic Industries $229 covered only
LMC $240 covered only

Classic Parts is the only one of my catalogs that has it available uncovered. There are many colors available it you don't want to cover it yourself. All are oversized shipping. It looks like you are in the LA area. Truck and Car Shop is in Orange and Classic Industries is in Huntington Beach. It may be cheaper to go to their showroom and pick it up there.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Thanks bunch for the info, guess I'll go with Classic since I want to cover it myself..:cheers:

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Rock auto sells them to, probably the best price you can find.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Just looked, they sell "ACME AUTO" can get an uncovered one for $113.79, wonder what the quality is though???..

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Just looked, they sell "ACME AUTO" can get an uncovered one for $113.79, wonder what the quality is though???..
It's a piece of uncovered abs plastic, how bad can it be? As long as it fits to the roof that's all that really matters right?

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
It's a piece of uncovered abs plastic, how bad can it be? As long as it fits to the roof that's all that really matters right?
EXACTLY, "as long as it fits"..:D

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
EXACTLY, "as long as it fits"..:D
True, but how do you the one classic sells isn't made at the same place? Could be the only difference between them is $70....

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
True, but how do you the one classic sells isn't made at the same place? Could be the only difference between them is $70....
That is true, anymore ya gotta wonder about anything you buy.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
There is such a large investment in tooling an molds that I would be surprised if two different companies were making that exact part. More than likely they come from the same place an all the places listed are just distributors.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Wouldn't doubt it one bit..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members